A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi Siffing us on the Wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-1999, 07:07 PM
PakDaddy

Default Audi Siffing us on the Wheels!

It seems to me that Audi has really been lacking in their wheel designs. Now I'm no Audi basher because I have a MY 2000 A4 1.8T on order and I think Audi's overall are beautiful. But, other than the traditional 5 spoke wheels u see on the 2.8, Audi has really not matched the wheels to the cars beauty. I think we can all agree the new sport wheels and the previous ones are not all really sporty or really creative looking Even the base wheels on the 1.8T are ok, but you'd think a world class car maker like Audi would replace it's wheel designs after so many years, especially since this is a 2000 model. And this goes for all Audi's, I saw the new wheels on the A6 2.7T, and they look hideous and make no sense for that kind of car. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but Audi has taken a lot of chances with the designs of their cars, you'd think they would extend that thinking to their wheel designs. WE've seen Audi's become even livlier with aftermarket wheels, it's about time they come out of the factory that way.
Old 09-14-1999, 07:10 PM
mness

Default Re: Audi Siffing us on the Wheels!

I was just thinking about that the other day but didn't post. I agree. Except for the five-spoke, which is classic (and very similar to the five-spoke's on my 94 Integra GSR - also considered the best-looking Integra wheels on the Integra forums), the Audi wheels are pretty tame. I mean, just look at the wheels that BMW puts on their cars - they're awesome.
Old 09-14-1999, 07:20 PM
PakDaddy

Yeah exactly, BMW creates good looking wheels for even it's most base models, and then give two or three great wheel designs as options especially on it's sport packages. I just wish Audi could do the same since it's actual car designs are so original and breathtaking.
Old 09-14-1999, 07:24 PM
Scot McKay

My wife skipped the Sport Package on the 2.8 solely because she wanted the cooler wheels. I remember thinking to myself that the standard wheels were "sportier" than the Sport Package wheels. The base 2.8 wheels also resemble those on the A8, which IMHO makes them more upscale as well.

Thank goodness the S4's "Sport Package" wheels are a ton cooler!
Old 09-14-1999, 07:32 PM
DMoore

Default Remember the Coupe Quattro?

The '90 and '91 Coupe Quattro came with six spoke, two piece Speedlines. Gorgeous wheels. When I sold my '91 Coupe and bought a '94 90Q, I swapped the wheels between the two cars right there on the dealer's lot.

I love the 5 spoke wheels on my last two A4 2.8's, but don't like anything else in the A4 line. I have an S4 on order. I love the car, but I think those Avus wheels are atrocious!
Old 09-14-1999, 07:47 PM
silverman

Default Wheels must match the car

While I generally agree that Audi has to do more with it's wheel design, I think it may be a case of matching the overall understated look of the car.

BMW offers rims that are more aggressive which match it's more bold and body design.

IMO, Audi needs to offer the 5 spoke to all lines. It's not only classy but also sporty. The old A6 rims are also quite nice.
Old 09-14-1999, 08:01 PM
PakDaddy

Default Re: Wheels must match the car

That's not really true, because it's not like BMW's are outrageously or completely an originally designed model line. Audi's are built like pieces of art, but the wheels don't seem to share that same great styling. It would be boring to have the 5 spokes in every model, wheels should try to be as original as possible and offer the customer more choices to suite their tastes, just like the Atmosphere interior choices.
Old 09-14-1999, 09:07 PM
silverman

Default Re: Wheels must match the car

I agree Audi's are like pieces of art and that there needs to be more choices. (I don't like using third party products...it makes it seem cheap.)

I also wasn't suggesting that the 5 spoke be the only option available...just make it available as an option.
Old 09-15-1999, 03:25 AM
ChuckH

Default NO! The Avus wheels are spectacular, IMO! But that...

...doesn't mean you have to like them. That's one of the problems that face car companies. Everyone likes different styles. In the scheme of things, a manufacturer is better off going with something more conservative, since it is less likely to completely offend. One of my favorite factory wheels is that which is on the M3, but I've seen several with nasy looking wheels on them. The worst was an M3 with Chromed Mercedes wheels! EEEEWWWW!!! I think Audi has done a pretty good job with wheels, for the most part. The biggest problem with Audi is that they need to offer better upgrade wheel choices. The standard wheels are atleast as good as anyone elses.

Charles
Old 09-15-1999, 04:00 AM
FATBOY

I SAY THAT ALL STANDARD AUDI WHEELS ARE TOO F*CKING THIN!!!THEY SUCK SH*T

Quick Reply: Audi Siffing us on the Wheels!