A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

auto transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto transmission issue

2000 A4 1.8T Quattro with tiptronic tranny. Car only will start moving if I put shift lever on the right in tiptronic mode to start off in 1st. Works fine in I stay in tiptronic and can shift all 5 gears up and down. It will also work if once in in 2nd I move lever back to "D" position on the left as long as I don't accelerate too hard to make it kickdown to lower gear at low speed. I will then review up as in neutral. If I try starting off in "D" it will rev up but not move ahead yet feels as if it is slightly trying (I describe as almost trying to move with e-brake on). Occasionally that will result in a clunk then falls in limp mode with all ranges highlighted on display. Park, reverse and neutral all work fine. One mechanic says tranny is shot but would it still work perfectly in tiptronic? Fluid is a bit darker than normal but don't want to spend 6-800$ at dealer to replace fluid if tranny is dead.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by legerrej
2000 A4 1.8T Quattro with tiptronic tranny. Car only will start moving if I put shift lever on the right in tiptronic mode to start off in 1st. Works fine in I stay in tiptronic and can shift all 5 gears up and down. It will also work if once in in 2nd I move lever back to "D" position on the left as long as I don't accelerate too hard to make it kickdown to lower gear at low speed. I will then review up as in neutral. If I try starting off in "D" it will rev up but not move ahead yet feels as if it is slightly trying (I describe as almost trying to move with e-brake on). Occasionally that will result in a clunk then falls in limp mode with all ranges highlighted on display. Park, reverse and neutral all work fine. One mechanic says tranny is shot but would it still work perfectly in tiptronic? Fluid is a bit darker than normal but don't want to spend 6-800$ at dealer to replace fluid if tranny is dead.

You need a VAG.com to check for codes. A generic OBDII scanner won't work because there are VAG specific codes from the TCU .