A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Avant lust!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it never ends!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-1999, 12:57 PM
MJ

Default Avant lust!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it never ends!!

Picked up my brand panking new Silver/onyx 2.8 loaded A4 Avant QMS last night, and I just can't get the smile off my face. This is by far the greatest car I have ever owned. Thanks to all those who convinced me to go with the sports package - what a great deal that was. I drove it around metro NYC, and it takes the terrible streets in stride. I sure would have regretted passing on the sports package. Damn, what a fine automobile.<br>For those interested, it didn't come with an in dash CD player, but did have the 12V auxillary socket in the trunk.<br>By the way, I have to give Pray Audi a plug cause they really make the experience memorable. In fact, after being introduced to the service manager, I asked him if he knew about reprogramming the remote. He said he did and would do it for me gladly, free of charge!!<br>I'll be back there real soon!!<p>Gotta go, have a lot more places to drive.<br>Thanks all. I will post pics of my car being picked up at the dealer soon.
Old 06-17-1999, 01:33 PM
JohnG

Default Re: Avant lust!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it never ends!!

Nice car! I'm interested in why you chose the Avant. I like the sporty rear of the sedan, especially that crease across the back. But I'm thinking that the Avant might make a better ski car. I just can't picture the sedan with a rack and ski-box on top...<br>
Old 06-17-1999, 01:43 PM
Shabbis

Default A4 sedan skiing experience... (long)

I was driving back from Mt. Hood one miserable day in my trusty old Subaru Legacy AWD (before I owned an A4). It was just horrible out, a light layer of snow on the ground and a blizzard in the sky. The road was deserted and I was going pretty fast, say 45mph or so. Guess what blows by me like i am standing still, yup, a laser red A4 2.8Q with a ski rack full of skis. It looked good.<p>Guess what I am driving now, yup, a laser red A4 2.8QMS with a ski/surfboard rack I might add and it looks gooooood.
Old 06-17-1999, 01:58 PM
Alex

Default My reason

I work as a computer tech and drive 25-30 k per year. I need the room to carry things, but want the fun of the A5. I am driving a chevy blazer now and it is so tiring! I cant wait for my A4 to come in!
Old 06-17-1999, 02:22 PM
MRJ

Default Re: Avant lust!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it never ends!!

Howdy, <p>You'll really appreciate the better ballance of the Avant in the snow aqnd the extra cargo area! Those cold weather clothes are bulky. To be honest, I can't think of any reason NOT to buy the Avant. I love mine and will miss it when it's gone. Fortunately I'm in sunny CA and can afford to have a Roadster.<p>Cheers,<br>Mike<br>98.5 Avant QMS<br>98 M Roadster
Old 06-17-1999, 02:57 PM
MJ

Default Justification for the Avant (besides they just rule!!)(long)

All of the reasons mentioned by others did contribute to my decision, however, for me, I just really prefer the look of the Avant over the sedan. I guess part of it may be that I am switching over from an SUV and liked the extra room. Indeed the Avant effectively doubles the rear cargo space. Also, I think that the Avant has a better weight distribution. The sedan is not quite 50/50 ( it is actually front biased), and the added weight of the Avant (all to the rear) creates better distribution. By the way, on the aesthetic note, I also think that the weight on the rear makes the Avant with sports package look really lowered (a lot more than I expected).<br>One other reason, although the sedan has a large cargo capacity, it is severly limited by the width of the opening. In other words, if you have a TV that would fit in the trunk space wise, it may not fit since it can't pass through the narrow opening. Short of putting down the rear seats and putting the TV in the trunk through there, it is a bit of a waste. This I can tell you from experience.<p>Good luck on your choice, but remember Avants rule (they are pretty rare too and are not as attractive to our friendly bears out there)<p>Sorry for the rambling<br>MJ
Old 06-17-1999, 02:57 PM
VladN

Default more reasons...

- handles as good as sedan<br>- easier entry for rear passanger (lager door opening)<br>- more headroom for rear passanger<br>- cargo space suitable for an occasional 19' monitor ;-)<br>- long flat roof gives good spacing between rack bars, easier to carry bulky things like canoe, kayak (sedan roof is probably OK for bike or ski)<br>- looks cool and unique (this is a subjective opinion ;-))<p>VladN<br>Avant 1.8TQMS
Old 06-17-1999, 03:03 PM
JohnG

Hmmmmm, does sound good. What kind of rack?
Old 06-17-1999, 03:06 PM
stanj

Rear passenger door is the same
Old 06-17-1999, 03:07 PM
Roger B

Love the sedan, but my poor dog never gets to ride in it. I think he would have liked the back of an Avant.

Quick Reply: Avant lust!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it never ends!!