A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AVANT OWNERS/those on ORDER: Please read re: the alleged delivery delays... I wonder...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2000, 05:42 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVANT OWNERS/those on ORDER: Please read re: the alleged delivery delays... I wonder...

these stories of delayed Avants don't quite ring true to me. It's odd that one finds out now, a month after the build week, that it's going to be delayed 9 weeks, and that the dealer says the Regional Rep called him to tell him. I am dubious.

The whole issue of alleged "factory delays" on Avants seems strange to me... my dealer
said a while back that none of their Avants has been delayed... and the 1.8 Avant that
they told me on June 8 would arrive in late July arrived about that time and is now in stock

has anyone else actually gotten such news?

... it makes me wonder if the dealers are jerking some of the buyers around by not being
up front about what month's allocation to the dealer they are actually buying (ie when I
ordered in June I was told right up front that I was ordering out of September's build
allocation, for October delivery...)

just wondering?

Thx
Old 08-29-2000, 05:53 AM

Default Re: AVANT OWNERS/those on ORDER: Please read re: the alleged delivery delays... I wonder...

I do not have any news one way or another. All I know is that my 1.8T Avant, ordered 5/31, is still in C status - as of the end of last week. I don't have any info on build week or delays. I think the only reliable indicator we have is our status reports. Actually, someone posted a short time back that even these can be off. I really don't know how we can get concrete info. Except of course when the car we ordered actually arrives.

Tom
Old 08-29-2000, 06:06 AM
Elder Member

Default The gist of my question is, what did your dealer tell you when you ordered?

What build month & delivery month did they give you?

My point is I think some dealers may be giving, shall we say, overly optimistic dates, and then come up w/ an "excuse" for "delays", when in fact they may have known all along the real story.

The fact that I was told the first week of June that a 1.8 Avant would arrive in late July, and that a 1.8 Avant arrived then, makes me very suspicious of what other dealers are telling their customers.
Old 08-29-2000, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is bad out there...

I ordered on 7/24 and have not been given a status code period. Talk about nervous. One can't help but think that the dealer is trying to fill their current MY inventory but not wanting to loose a sale. I get more frustrated every week not hearing a peep out of my dealer. I called the sales manager, AoA and the guy who orders the cars, no concrete info. The best i got was they have a month time frame to buid, 9/1-10/12.

How is the consumer protected from jerks? AoA can't tell us anything about an order. That leaves you, me and the dealer. It is possible they are left in the dark as well.

Its too bad the AoA operators are so nice and are just doing their jobs because I am going to have to start pushing back.
Old 08-29-2000, 06:51 AM
Elder Member

Default I think it depends on the dealer...

I find mine to be very credible and the information's been totally consistent.

I am very suspicious that less honest dealers are jerking some of you around... we'll know when my Avant arrives, if it's on time or close to it than I think we can conclusively say somebody's pulling the wool over a number of eyes...
Old 08-29-2000, 07:23 AM

Default Ordered 6/16, dealer said Sept/Oct delivery

I ordered a 2001 Avant 2.8 from David Leibenson at Rector Motors in Burlingame, CA on June 16. He said----and his confirmation letter repeated----that delivery should be September or October. Last time I checked status was August 1 and all I had then was an order confirmed status. I plan on checking again within the next week.<p>SFMel
Old 08-29-2000, 07:44 AM
Elder Member

Default You've got the same basic situation as I do. Thanks...

...sounds like you're getting consistent information, too.
Old 08-29-2000, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I was told 12 weeks and it became 25. The one bad experience about the whole deal

<p>Marty

99.5 2.8 Avant Casablanca/Ecru/Blue

Old 08-29-2000, 09:48 AM

Default Re: The gist of my question is, what did your dealer tell you when you ordered?

I was told October. I'm doubtful.
Old 08-29-2000, 10:05 AM
Elder Member

Default Hope it makes it, but if not...

I'd be inclined to think it was a dealer "error" not factory: the fact that the 1.8 that was on order here when I ordered my 2.8 in June, showed up within a week or 2 of the predicted July arrival date I was given in June shows that at least some dealers/cars are showing up as represented to customers...