A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Avant writeup in AZ Republic

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-1999, 01:19 PM
rs

Default Avant writeup in AZ Republic

Audi Avant scoots, handles, looks<br> good<p> By BOB GOLFEN<p> © 1999 The Arizona Republic<p> PHOENIX - OK, it’s confession time. I need to get something<br> off my chest, something that some people might find strange<br> and confusing.<p> Here it is:<p> I dig station wagons.<p> That’s not just a condition of middle age, though practicality<br> certain looms larger these days than it used to. No, I’ve always<br> liked station wagons, have owned several of them, and just<br> think they’re kind of cool.<p> Weird, huh?<p> I’m not talking about behemoth nine-passenger wagons of<br> yore, but trim, compact wagons. And these days, some of the<br> best wagons are being made in Europe, where square backs are<br> enjoying a popular resurgence.<p> Volvo long has been the king of station wagons, but sporty<br> BMW currently markets its Touring wagon for the horsy set,<br> and Saab has just added a wagon to its latest lineup.<p> Now comes Audi, fresh on the upswing with its fine new trio<br> of sedans, A4, A6 and A8. This is a car company that has<br> returned from purgatory, shrugging off the bogus "unintended<br> acceleration" fiasco of the ‘80s and a mediocre product line,<br> and bringing out a collection of vehicles of character and<br> excellent road manners.<p> The handsome, driveable and even affordable A4 1.8 T Avant<br> (e.g, station wagon) was a road-test car that I really wanted to<br> keep. It’s the kind of station wagon that makes me dig station<br> wagons. Audi calls it a sport wagon, which might seem like an<br> oxymoron until you get behind the wheel.<p> The little Avant drives and handles. Equipped with a<br> five-speed stick shift and a surprisingly strong 1.8-liter<br> turbocharged four, it scoots like a sports car. Sounds like one,<br> too. Audi says it will go zero to 60 mph in just 8.5 seconds,<br> with the manual gearbox, which is pretty quick for a station<br> wagon.<p> This four is also smooth and quiet, with only a bit of<br> four-cylinder boominess evident under hard acceleration. It<br> does get a bit weak in the knees at low rpm, but not as bad as<br> some other turbos. Shifting is smooth and precise.<p> The A4 Avant also is available with a 2.8-liter V-6, at a slightly<br> higher price. A five-speed also is available with the six, a rarity<br> in this market, especially in a station wagon.<p> Handling and cornering have the kind of Germanic poise and<br> precision that driving enthusiasts crave. Steering response is<br> quick, the ride is firm and athletic, and the body feels stiff and<br> tight. A twisting back road becomes a romp.<p> The test car also was equipped with Audi’s famed Quattro<br> system, one of the first all-wheel-drive setups for passenger<br> cars on pavement. Electronically controlled to feed torque to<br> whichever wheels need it, while sensing and compensating for<br> slips and slides, Quattro provides finesse and security.<p> The Avant has the kind of styling that accentuates its<br> station-wagon body rather than hiding it. The rear has a<br> rounded, modern shape that makes the Avant look like it wants<br> to move.<p> Speaking of moving, you can load some boxes back there, too,<br> though the sloping roof and curving flanks take away some of<br> the utility. Really, this is not the kind of wagon space available<br> from Volvo or Mercedes-Benz, but should be enough for light<br> duty.<p> The A4 is a small car, and although the driver and front-seat<br> passenger have plenty of space, rear-seat folk had better not be<br> too big or too fussy. The interior in our test car was named<br> terra cotta for some unfathomable reason, but it was very<br> handsome and comfortable, with supportive seats and a good<br> atmosphere.<p> The dashboard is simple and well-designed, with easy-to-read<br> gauges, but some of the switches and controls are hard to get<br> used to. The stereo system has lost some of its fussiness, but<br> operating it still involves a learning process. It’s a<br> good-sounding stereo and well worth the trouble.<p> Audi’s downstream sibling, Volkswagen, also has released<br> some sharp new wagons, notably the handsome Passat, this<br> year. This is a bigger car at a lesser price, but it doesn’t have<br> the level of trim or performance of the A4.<p> There’s also an Audi A6 Avant wagon, a stylish craft at a<br> premium price, that’s bigger and brawnier than the A4.<p> The A4 Avant confirms my faith in station wagons. It’s<br> certainly more handsome and pleasurable to drive than any<br> minivan or sport-utility vehicle out there.<p><p> Audi 1.8 T Avant<p> Vehicle type: Five-passenger, four-door station wagon,<br> all-wheel drive. <br> ase price: $26,440. <br> Price as tested: $27,220. <br> Engine: 1.8-liter turbocharged four, 150 horsepower at<br> 5,700 rpm, 155 pound-feet of torque at 1,750 rpm. <br> Transmission: Five-speed manual. <br> Curb weight: 3,353 pounds. <br> Wheelbase: 102.6 inches. <br> EPA fuel economy: 21 city, 29 highway. <br> Highs: Driving finesse. Handsome styling. Moderate price. <br> Lows: Cramped back seat. Confusing dash. Turbo lag. <br>
Old 05-24-1999, 01:37 PM
Marcus Frost

Quattro was the FIRST succesfully marketed permanent AWD system ever produced. Aside from the not-so-popular Jensen car from 1966.
Old 05-24-1999, 02:43 PM
estee

Default Re: Quattro was the FIRST succesfully marketed permanent AWD system ever produced. Aside from the not-so-popular Jensen car from 1966.

actually, american motors was the first car co to mass produce and market full time awd cars, this was in the 1970's i believe. Whetther you copnsider their cars successfulis a matter of opinion.
Old 05-24-1999, 08:07 PM
Nidal

Ok ok, i confess....I am in love with my Avant lol
Old 05-25-1999, 07:21 AM
chrisd

I have the affliction as well Nidal