A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AWD My ASS!!!! sob story

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2000, 05:36 AM
Pity Party

Default AWD My ***!!!! sob story

SO today was the first time my baby saw snow ....woohoooo!! I was so excited....I woke up early and decided to take the more slippery back roads to work and give Quattro a work out. The first mistake I made was thinking I could drive like I normally do. I whipped around a corner at about 30 and fishtailed 4 times before regaining control. <i>mental note to self: be more careful</i>

Unfortunately the back roads were clogged with a bunch of two-wheel driving losers that were all going 10 miles under the speed limit.....even on the dry patches! GRRRRR.

So..... I make it about a mile from work...sitting at a stop light and **WHAM** some stupid soccer mom wench in her piece of sweedish **** Saab bumps into my back! GRRRRRR. No Damage done. So i flipped her off and sent her on her way. dumb bitch

Here's the icing on the cake. I make it down a nice long snowy hill and am about to turn into the parking lot at work. "I made it", I think to myself, "No SUV collisions, No one added to my list of people to kill, no major incidents, Way to go Quattro-baby!!"
"ah - I can take this turn at a semi-normal speed....no need to dwonshift to first....."

Then..... the sliding.....and..... **WHAMMO KERACK!!*
I had slid and pounded the curb!

cracked my rim and did some suspension damage. Flatbed is on the way, so we'll see.....

SUCKS!
Old 01-20-2000, 05:39 AM
Mark P

Sorry to hear. Curious, what tires do you have?
Old 01-20-2000, 05:58 AM
JohnZ

Default It doesn't matter what kind of tires he has, this is the price you pay for being a moron.

I do not mean to sound harsh but you got what you deserved.

1.8TMQUATTRO with mods and drive normal in inclement weather
Old 01-20-2000, 06:02 AM
MORON!?!

Default Please tell me you are joking. Are you totally oblivious or just a run of the mill

I suggest you take a course in physics or maybe just plain old common sense. NO CAR is going to perform the same or even close to the same in snow and ice as it does in dry conditions.
Old 01-20-2000, 06:04 AM
ErikR

Delete this profane, senseless blather, Please!
Old 01-20-2000, 06:06 AM
The other 99% of Americans

Quattro snob gets what he deserves.
Old 01-20-2000, 06:10 AM
JF

Default AWD or ABS.....i had the same experience....

out on the roads it was fine....granted I didn't drive like normal....I felt very comfortable and confident taking corners, switching lanes, accelerating, decelerating....until I got to work and went to turn into the parking lot! That's when the ABS locked up and the car kept sliding forward. I let off the brakes but it was too late, I never got the car to turn. Luckily, I wasn't going too fast and only ran into a small curb...no damage. Sorry to hear about you. QUESTION....is it normal for cars with ABS to lock up in the snow so easily? (my first car w/ them) Anyone have any experience in other cars w/ ABS and snow? BTW....stock Dunlop 8000 tires on a 00 1.8tQMS
Old 01-20-2000, 06:12 AM
Mystified

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving or pathetic loser. Please go away and stay!
Old 01-20-2000, 06:19 AM
Dan F.

Default Re: AWD or ABS.....i had the same experience....

I'm in the same boat (except I haven't run into anything yet ). The SP8000s are lousy in snow and the brakes ABS-lock immediately. I've never had an ABS car or a car with sport tires before, so the first time it happened I was pretty surprised (this was with 1" of snow, and I slid a good 40 yards from about 25 MPH on grooved construction pavement. The Camry in front of me spun about 90 degrees without warning, but luckily I had left myself lots of space to stop.)

I compensate by using engine braking instead wherever possible. And being smart enough to drive slowly on snow and ice (I wish I could be like those cool guys that go 60 in their SUVs).

Best solution: get winter tires if there's more than occassional snow in your area.

Dan
Old 01-20-2000, 06:22 AM
Mark P

I was just curious if he was overconfident with snow tires or overconvident with other tires

Quick Reply: AWD My ASS!!!! sob story