A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AWE Tuning won't fix my GIAC chip...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd. especially since the car works with the stock chip, you have the time to deal with this.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the suggestion... I'll give GIAC a chance to make it right first...

I do have the warranty in writing so that would certainly be an option.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The upgrade chip itself has a fair number of solder joints...

If I understand you correctly you're saying that GIAC built the chip and did all of the soldering on the chip itself.

If that's the case than the defect in workmanship belongs to GIAC. It's unfortunate that GIAC's policy makes their dealers look bad.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Default I've installed chips before - the APR EMCS2, and the DSMLink. Both were easy.

I'm sure there is a fair amount of little kids working in factories all over the planet doing the same thing. It's not hard. Anyone that screws that up installing a through hole or large surface mount component like your average automotive performance chip shouldn't be anywhere near a soldering iron.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 AM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the GIAC written warranty here....and it states...

that (edited) "periodical improvements are made to our programming" and "upgrades can be obtained by sending back the original product with a nominal fee" and "All upgrades hare handled directly by GIAC, and not by any of its dealers"

So, AWE can't fix the chip without accepting full responsibility for damage and risking their GIAC deal, and GIAC policy states a "nominal" fee.

I think you're out of luck.

I looked into the upgrade last year (I'm running 018P05.v03) and they really couldn't tell me what the benefit of upgrading would be, but they did explain that they would remove the chip and convert it to a flash design...so $100 didn't seem unreasonable to me. I doubt it covers their costs.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:32 AM

Default agreed. GIAC writes their policies open eneded to benefit themselves.

What I have a problem with is that the current non-flash customer will ultimately pay $595 for a flash chip while a new customer pays $495.

I understand there are new costs, but it should just be part of doing business and built into the original $495 price that has tons of money left in it to cover the new parts and labor. GIAC can't tell me that they haven't made a ton of money on chips, even after all of the R&D time.

I still think GIAC should wave the fee if the customer gets another software option with their flash chip. That way, GIAC still gets money to cover their costs, the customer gets something for their $, and the old and new customers pay the same to get the same.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:38 AM

That covers updates ... is there no merchantability (defects) warranty?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:44 AM

Default here

I don't think GIAC is denying his warranty (appears to be only 3 years, not lifetime, to the original customer), but I think the issue here is that GIAC might not being able/willing to give him another non-flash chip and forcing him to go to the flash, which carries a $100 upgrade fee.

And, I agree, he wouldn't be doing this if the chip itself didn't fail. Apparently, it's not a solder issue that can be repaired.

I already don't think there should be a $100 fee, and, his situation makes it even more unfair to him to have to pay it.

I look forward to hearing his response from GIAC.<ul><li><a href="http://www.giacusa.com/warranty.php">http://www.giacusa.com/warranty.php</a</li></ul>
Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default In 2003 when I purchased my chip it was a lifetime warranty...

They must have reduced it to 3 years at some point since then.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm not looking for an upgrade, just want a defect corrected...

If my upgrade chip still worked and I was just looking to upgrade to the latest software version I'd view the upgrade fee differently.

To me it's an issue of whether or not they stand behind the products they sell. The chip is defective and I feel that they should take responsibility for fixing the defect.

If they can't repair the chip they should provide the flash upgrade for free.

Quick Reply: AWE Tuning won't fix my GIAC chip...