A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

B5 1.8TQ won't start after accessory belt shredded

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B5 1.8TQ won't start after accessory belt shredded

Okay well about 3 weeks ago as I was driving to work my car died in the middle of the street. I tried to restart but it wouldn't turn over. I pushed it onto a side neighborhood street and popped the hood. The main accessory belt had just failed and frayed into many different strands. Got the car home and then started to wrench on it. After getting the lock carrier off I discovered that when the belt went to heck it had actually been drawn up into timing belt sprocket of the camshaft. After I got over my sinking feeling and finally received my timing belt kit and a few other parts from ECStuning after taking about 2 weeks, I replaced the TB and took great care to make sure that both the crank shaft and the cam shafts were both back to Top Dead Center so that I wouldn't jack up the valves. Got most everything back on and tried to start her up but it wouldn't turn over. The belts were moving, I even charged the battery up too but still it won't fire. I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel rail and when the key is turned it is squirting fuel so that's not the issue. I rented a compression gauge from a local store and when I hooked it up and tried to turn it over it only read 0. I am not sure if the gauge was faulty or not but sure hope it was. My next thought was that maybe the valves were broken or bent. I removed the air intake manifold and took a gander at the valves from there but they all seemed to be in good order. I had a buddy taking a look at it with me and he got the **** shocked out of him when I was trying to start it and he was holding the spark plug lol so it is getting spark. What else should I check out. I plan to get another pressure gauge tomorrow and test it again. I appreciate all the help folks.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a compression test. Valves may look fine, but be bent just enough not to seat properly.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:56 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

How was the timing when you took it apart? Had the belt jumped or was timing still right?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbit1985
Okay well about 3 weeks ago as I was driving to work my car died in the middle of the street. I tried to restart but it wouldn't turn over. I pushed it onto a side neighborhood street and popped the hood. The main accessory belt had just failed and frayed into many different strands. Got the car home and then started to wrench on it. After getting the lock carrier off I discovered that when the belt went to heck it had actually been drawn up into timing belt sprocket of the camshaft. After I got over my sinking feeling and finally received my timing belt kit and a few other parts from ECStuning after taking about 2 weeks, I replaced the TB and took great care to make sure that both the crank shaft and the cam shafts were both back to Top Dead Center so that I wouldn't jack up the valves. Got most everything back on and tried to start her up but it wouldn't turn over. The belts were moving, I even charged the battery up too but still it won't fire. I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel rail and when the key is turned it is squirting fuel so that's not the issue. I rented a compression gauge from a local store and when I hooked it up and tried to turn it over it only read 0. I am not sure if the gauge was faulty or not but sure hope it was. My next thought was that maybe the valves were broken or bent. I removed the air intake manifold and took a gander at the valves from there but they all seemed to be in good order. I had a buddy taking a look at it with me and he got the **** shocked out of him when I was trying to start it and he was holding the spark plug lol so it is getting spark. What else should I check out. I plan to get another pressure gauge tomorrow and test it again. I appreciate all the help folks.
Probably too late now but:

You should have done a leakdown test, it's less destructive than a compression test.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
How was the timing when you took it apart? Had the belt jumped or was timing still right?
Timing belt looked like it was in pretty good condition but it was time to change it out since it had been about 80k miles. I didn't inspect the timing marks as closely as I should have when I was removing the old TB
Old 06-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got a code reader to spit out some stuff to me.
P0422- Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0442- Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

P0300- Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0303- Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0304- Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P1338- Camshaft Pos.Sensor,Bank1 Open Circ./Short to B+
P1544- Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Signal too High
P0123

Now I don't know if maybe some of these came about after I took out the air intake manifold last night or not since there are several sensors unplugged now and throttle body was removed as well. Going to do some research on these codes now.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car originally died after the acc belt failure. There is no reason it should have stopped due to that unless the failure damaged something else. Whether it be that a wire got knocked off or the belt wrapping the TB sprocket causing it to jump time and stall. You failed in not checking to see if the timing had jumped b4 doing the timing belt and further complicated things by removing the intake. So many things have been disturbed that any of them could be a problem now.

My thought is the timing jumped and and bent the valves. You got a reading of 0 with the compression gauge. Try another gauge, but doesn't sound good. If you still get bad readings then pull the head and investigate.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on a leakdown test

I would bet your timing got messed up when the accessory belt went where it is not supposed to go based on the fact that you couldn't turn over the engine.

I would say it is safe bet that you are going to end up taking the head off (recheck the timing first). I fear the pistons and the valve had an intimate encounter.

Good luck. This is really a bummer, I doubt any one else has had a misplaced accessory belt.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I have come to terms with the fact that in all likely hood the valves were slightly bent causing it not to properly seat. I have some burgers with cheese on top and wrapped in 5 pieces of bacon EACH right now so I think I will chow on one of them, grab a beer, and get to work. I have most of the stuff out of the way already so it shouldn't take too long. I will post updates when more information is available provided that I don't have a heart attack due to my carnivorous dinner
Old 06-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Your diagnostic procedures are different from mine.
(That's about the nicest, most construtive thing I can think to say here.)

Quick Reply: B5 1.8TQ won't start after accessory belt shredded