A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Back from the Snow!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-1998, 06:00 PM
P2

Default Back from the Snow!! (long)

Hey all...just wanted to share a little snow adventure with my A4. I just got back from a ski trip at Soda Springs near the Reno area. I have never drove my Quattro equipped A4 to the mountains since I got it back in April. (I was too **** about getting it dirty with mud/snow). Well, what an experience. It was a blizzard driving up there on Sunday. I would say there was at most 20 yards of visibility at some points. There was a long line at a tire chain check point prior to entering the Donner Pass area. I can see in front of me that all the sedans and non-4x4 vehicles were required to stop and put chains on. I also noticed that every SUV was allowed to continue along with the Subarus. I was a bit worried because I saw no other Audis and the fact that I have the stock Z-rated Dunlops. When it was my turn to be "inspected", the guy simply asked, "Quattro?". I said, "yes". He said, "go ahead". Confidence restored. <p>At this point, it started snowing hard. I experimented with the traction capability of my car. It wouldn't slip. The road was quickly turning from black to white. I tried a quick lane change. Not a good idea. Quattro does slip, but regained traction within a second. I was able to keep up with every SUV on the road up to 40mph. (I didn't want to go any faster than that even though I felt like I can go 60mph). I would say I drove for about an hour averaging 40mph with only one hint of slipping. <p>After a day of snowboarding, I returned to the parking lot and found my car sitting in about a foot and half of snow and completely snowed in. I backed out (not sure it would go) with no problem. I just plowed right through. I was worried my front bra would get shredded, but it held in place (more on the bra in a bit). At this point I liked driving in the snow. I found a big, empty parking lot with at least a foot of snow. My friend got out with a camera. Then I do some incredible Audi-quality commercial footage. I didn't know you can do donuts with Quattro!? I was doing 4wheel power slides spraying snow everywhere!! (please do not try this at home. Amatuer driver on a closed course). I will post pics of this and various other "poses" when I get the film back. Fortunately no visible damage after my stunts...<p>Well, after I got home, my car was completely dirty. Mud was everywhere. The bra was blasted with everything from rocks, salt, snow, parts of tire chains from other cars and whatever else was there. Even though the bra was thrashed, I highly recommend using one to prevent front end damage. I still noticed 2-3 very small chips on the hood (couldn't sleep that night). By the way, the bra I got from the Audi dealer is not very good. The bottom piece does not secure very good. But it did its job. <p>I did a complete detail this morning including spraying the undercarriage for awhile. For those of you who live in a snow area, any suggestions on cleaning after a snow adventure? I plan on a few more trips before the season ends. Thanks to all who read this far!!<p>P2<br>98.5 A4 2.8QMS<p>PS. I guess this long post makes up for my long absences from this great site....<br>
Old 12-21-1998, 06:21 PM
Eric H.

Default Re: Back from the Snow!! (long)

The issue, of course, is not getting up to speed in the snow, but, rather, returning to zero. Don't sweat the bra or chips too much. There is no shame in driving an Audi that shows use. It's what they're for.
Old 12-21-1998, 07:10 PM
P2

Default So true...

Eric,<p>I know what you mean. I failed to mention in my post that I used my ABS 3 times in order to stop. Quattro is great for traction when accelerating and cornering, but does nothing to help the car (and you) stop in any condition. Thanks for the input!!<p>P2
Old 12-21-1998, 07:55 PM
Steve S.

Default Hey P2.....haven't seen you around the hood....

Hey, if you wanna check out the Colgan bra fitment let me know....I got one for<br>you to see up close and personal. It fits well...IMHO. Let me know...<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 12-22-1998, 06:18 AM
Kev

Isn't driving more fun than detailing, especially with Quattro?