A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Beeping Noise When Turning Steering Wheel/Taking Turns?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beeping Noise When Turning Steering Wheel/Taking Turns?

Has anyone experienced this or know what would cause it? I just got my car back today from my mechanic where I had new rotors, calipers and brakes put on the rear end since they were seizing.

I also had a new clamp put on the steering fluid reservoir since it had rotted and was leaking, creating a loud groaning noise from the steering wheel.

Half way to getting my car home today I noticed that the car was making 3 loud beeps every time I took a turn (whether right or left). The ABS light and brake lights are on, but these has been the case since I bought the car (and the stealership told me it was a bad ABS module/instrument cluster and "not necessary to replace"). So I've just left it alone.

Anyone know what might be causing this? The car usually does the 3 beeps on start up due to the ABS/brake lights but now its' doing it anytime I make a turn.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

First you need to get the ABS module replaced. Can't believe you were told this.
No sure what is causing the "beeps"

It might be great if you can find someone with a VAG-COM to read your codes.
I hope others can chime in on this issue
Old 11-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
First you need to get the ABS module replaced. Can't believe you were told this.
No sure what is causing the "beeps"

It might be great if you can find someone with a VAG-COM to read your codes.
I hope others can chime in on this issue
Thanks for the input Reggie, I appreciate it.

Is it really dangerous to drive right now or what do you think?

I've had it in probably 10 shops between now and when the dealership looked at it and never had them once mention the ABS/brake lights, so I figured it wasn't a huge deal.

Everything seems to work fine, the brakes work and it feels pretty safe, but not sure how critical the ABS module is to all of it. I literally know jack squat about cars unfortunately.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For about $100 or less you can get the module repaired then your ABS will work again. It's a safety item and should be repaired, not to mention the annoying beeping and lights will be gone. On of the most common problem with the B5 platform and a cheap fix.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
For about $100 or less you can get the module repaired then your ABS will work again. It's a safety item and should be repaired, not to mention the annoying beeping and lights will be gone. On of the most common problem with the B5 platform and a cheap fix.
Would basically any auto shop be able to do this or do you mean I'd have to do it myself? If it that's cheap I'm definitely interested in getting it fixed, the beeping is driving me insane and I'd like to have the flashing go away.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amall99
Would basically any auto shop be able to do this or do you mean I'd have to do it myself? If it that's cheap I'm definitely interested in getting it fixed, the beeping is driving me insane and I'd like to have the flashing go away.
It's a DIY of sorts. You take the module off and send it to a rebuilder like BBA or Module Masters. I sent mine to BBA 2 years ago and has been perfect since. I went through Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330636791360...#ht_2745wt_905

Fairly easy to remove with basic tools. Do a forum search or google search for how to remove it. You can still drive car with removed.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I used Module Masters, and have been very pleased with their product and customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I was thinking about your "new beeps," the ones when you turn. Is it possible you are low on a fluid? Power steering, brake, washer, coolant, oil, etc? An "almost" low level in one or more might present that way, although I would think the alarm would lock in. How about brake pads? Do you have sensors on them?

I'm guessing your center LCD display is bad? Otherwise you might be able to see what the trouble is? Module Masters can fix that display too.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tentoesover
I used Module Masters, and have been very pleased with their product and customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I was thinking about your "new beeps," the ones when you turn. Is it possible you are low on a fluid? Power steering, brake, washer, coolant, oil, etc? An "almost" low level in one or more might present that way, although I would think the alarm would lock in. How about brake pads? Do you have sensors on them?

I'm guessing your center LCD display is bad? Otherwise you might be able to see what the trouble is? Module Masters can fix that display too.
This is a really good point. The interesting thing is the LCD does in fact work and it lights up when there is a "real" problem, like gas light or something going wrong unexpectedly. Aside from a number of dead pixels it does work though.

Is there anyway to be 100% certain sending in the module will fix my problem? I know there's something wrong with it but I just want to know if there is anything I can do to make sure I don't waste money sending it in and having them say it's unrepairable or not even the problem--just thought I'd ask before I try it. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can always go to your local Pick-and-pull and see if you can find an ABS Module...no real way to tell if it is working though (that I know of), the best you could hope for is that it works. I've never been 100% sure on anything, ever, so I'm not sure what to tell you on that.

I'm also thinking it could be some other brake alarm, like pads or fluid level or something. If another of the brake system components was sending an alarm, you wouldn't see it with the ABS alarm already latched.

For sure check the power steering reservoir, make sure there is enough fluid, and check to see if there is a sensor on or near there that could have been bumped or is loosely connected. I'd hit the suspect connections with electrical contact cleaner.

I recently took my A4 in for an oil change and one of the ham-handed "techs" knocked my intake loose. The car made it down the street, then the intake came apart. I could only make it into the absolute worst part of town on a busy road, I had to tow it home to even have a good look under the hood. What I'm getting at is LOOK to see what your mechanic might have done. Not that he did anything malicious or negligent, but it's a place to start.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tentoesover
You can always go to your local Pick-and-pull and see if you can find an ABS Module...no real way to tell if it is working though (that I know of), the best you could hope for is that it works. I've never been 100% sure on anything, ever, so I'm not sure what to tell you on that.

I'm also thinking it could be some other brake alarm, like pads or fluid level or something. If another of the brake system components was sending an alarm, you wouldn't see it with the ABS alarm already latched.

For sure check the power steering reservoir, make sure there is enough fluid, and check to see if there is a sensor on or near there that could have been bumped or is loosely connected. I'd hit the suspect connections with electrical contact cleaner.

I recently took my A4 in for an oil change and one of the ham-handed "techs" knocked my intake loose. The car made it down the street, then the intake came apart. I could only make it into the absolute worst part of town on a busy road, I had to tow it home to even have a good look under the hood. What I'm getting at is LOOK to see what your mechanic might have done. Not that he did anything malicious or negligent, but it's a place to start.
That's a good idea. Just thought I'd throw this in the mix too since I found out that my check engine light is on and the reason for this is the MAF sensor I'm guessing. I got a P0103 code. Any chance this is causing the beeps?

The car has all the symptoms of a bad MAF sensor but I don't know if this would be causing the beeps. Should I try cleaning it? I'm not too car savvy but I might be able to give it a shot.

I'm going to go check the fluid reservoirs too and see if I can find any loose sensors or anything as well.

I could only make it into the absolute worst part of town on a busy road, I had to tow it home to even have a good look under the hood. What I'm getting at is LOOK to see what your mechanic might have done. Not that he did anything malicious or negligent, but it's a place to start.
I have this same kind of luck, luckily I haven't had this same problem so far though. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Beeping Noise When Turning Steering Wheel/Taking Turns?