A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Beru Silverstone sparkplugs - review

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beru Silverstone sparkplugs - review

I bought a set of these several months ago and never got around to installing them... until yesterday - wow!

I kind of expected another K&N Airfilter experience - i.e., "I think I feel a difference..."

But I must say that in the 24 hours since installing these plugs, I have noticed a significant improvement in throttle response and smoothness in the lower range of the powerband. The most noticeable difference came when I encountered a road with a very steep hill that I drive on every day. This hill is just off of a main road and most of the time I can make the left turn in 2nd gear onto this road without stopping due to the lack of oncoming traffic. With the oem plugs, the car always hesitated and struggled to get up the hill in 2nd gear - It bugged the $hit outta me b/c I hate downshifting into 1st. Well yesterday, she just climbed the hill in 2nd gear without missing a beat!

For the record, I had new oem plugs put in at my 30,000 service about 7 months ago - so I do not believe this difference is the result of having worn or fouled plugs as a baseline.

I highly recommend this upgrade. IMO, a well-worth $30 spent.

Chris

1998.5 1.8TQS Tip, AutoThority, GIAC Tip, Borla, Mintex, K&N, Beru, etc.
Old 11-28-2000, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm coming up on my 30,000 mile point, and my car hesitates a bit while cold....

Do you think I should just buy these plugs and have the dealer install them?
Old 11-28-2000, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Beru Silverstone sparkplugs - more info

The S5 Silverstones plug which I installed carries the same heat range as the oem plugs. However the Silverstone line is available with colder and hotter ranges. I actually had no idea what a 'colder' plug meant until I found the following paragraph at the Champion website:

"The term "heat range" refers to the relative temperature of the core nose of a spark plug. The words "hot" or "cold," when used in referencing spark plugs, are often a source of confusion and misunderstanding, since normally a hot spark plug is used in a cold engine (low horsepower) and a cold plug in a hot engine (high horsepower). The terms actually refer to the heat rating or thermal characteristics of the plug; more specifically, the plug's ability to dissipate heat from its firing end into the engine cooling system. A cold plug transfers heat rapidly away from its firing end into the cooling system and is used to avoid core nose heat saturation where combustion chamber or cylinder head temperatures are relatively high. A hot spark plug has a much slower rate of heat transfer and is used to avoid fouling where combustion chamber or cylinder head temperatures are relatively low. The primary means of adjusting heat range are by varying the length of the core nose and the alloy material used in the electrodes. Hot plugs have a relatively long insulator nose with a long heat transfer path. Cold plugs have a much shorter insulator nose and thus, transfer heat more rapidly (see illustration; hot to cold - left to right). The heat range of a plug does not affect the power output of an engine. Rather, it allows the plug to function as designed for the duration of the racing event. In other words, once the correct heat range is found that prevents fouling and does not contribute to the pre-ignition or detonation, a change to a hotter or colder plug will not have a positive effect on engine performance."

Also, here's a website for Nology which sells the Silverstones which shows the various models with their heat ranges.

Chris

btw - I am not affiliated with any of these companies or products....
Old 11-28-2000, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oops... here's the link

<ul><li><a href="http://www.nology.com/silver.html">http://www.nology.com/silver.html</a</li></ul>
Old 11-28-2000, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sure - can't say for sure that it'll cure your problem though

but it can't hurt. plus your dealer will install them for frre since new plugs are part of the 30K service.

Chris
Old 11-28-2000, 10:10 AM
e

Which plug did you purchase?
Old 11-28-2000, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

S5
Old 11-28-2000, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Beru Ultra-X is a diff plug?

The Silverstone is different from the Ultra-X mentioned from time to time as an improvement over stock plugs? How so, anyone know the specifics?