A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

BG 44k fuel injection system cleaner: BG tool really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BG 44k fuel injection system cleaner: BG tool really needed?

I bought the BG kit of 44K (which just dumps into the gas tank) and the Fuel Injection System Cleaner which they say needs a special tool.

Is there a good method of using the Fuel Injection System Cleaner without the BG tool? I know guys have done the Seafoam through the hose that runs into the front of the intake manifold, but that's probably not right for the BG Fuel Injection System Cleaner as it wouldn't clean the injectors. Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Good question -
Old 06-25-2007, 11:36 AM
JWG

Default Fuel Injection System Cleaner? Do you mean the . . .

combustible cleaning fluid that you screw directly into your fuel rail and on which you run the engine on until empty?

BG, Bilstein, and a couple of others manufacture such a system in both a large free-standing machine and a compact hand-held version. It's intended for use at garages and dealerships.

The idea is to run the engine on the combustible cleaning fluid only. Thus, you need to unscrew the fuel lines and use the "tool" to allow you to pressurize and feed the fuel rail.

However, I have become religious at using a small amount of fuel system cleaner at almost every fill-up; thus, I no longer have a need for aggressive fuel system cleaners like 44k. Regular small amounts of Marvel Mystery Oil, Lube Control FP-60, and/or Amsoil Performance Improver keep my cars' fuel system and combustion chambers/valves clean. As the carbon, varnish, and other gunk took months and/or years to build-up, do not reasonably expect one tank of BG 44k will make them completely disappear. On a recent engine tear down, my valves had no deposits and the combustion chambers had only a nice thin and even carbon layer like they should. Use milder cleaners all the time, and you will not have to use aggressive ones when the engine starts to feel really sluggish.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Elder Member

Try it and tell me after I got a can lying around too ahahaha
Old 06-25-2007, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Fuel Injection System Cleaner? Do you mean the . . .

yeah, this is the one that the 'tool' runs into the fuel line under pressure.

I do use Techron (the full strength one when I can get it) pretty regularly, but wanted to try a more complete approach this time. I didn't fully realize the 'into-fuel-line-under-pressure' part until I looked at BG's website.

I bet you'd be fine to run both through a tank or two of gas, but just not 100% sure I want to risk it. It would probably work but to a lesser extent.

I may see if one of the loca shops listed on the BGF website can hook me up with the tool.