A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Big charges for 60K service/timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big charges for 60K service/timing belt change

Hi
I have a 1998 A4 1.8T Quattro. I just had a 60K service done at Audi of Wallingford in CT. They said that I needed to get the timing belt replaced so I did that as well.
They charged me about $500 for the service and another $900 for the timing belt replacement (tooth belt, 2 tensroller, damper and 3 v-belt).
However, most of the charges $720 was for labor - 9 hours at 80/hour.
The problem I have is that I dropped the car off at 9am and the service was completed by 3. So, how could they charge me for 9 hours of labor (from the invoice, only 1 tech worked on the car)?
Do I have any recourse if I should have been only charged for actual labor?
Old 06-24-2002, 09:19 AM
Joey T

Default Re: Big charges for 60K service/timing belt change

You paid book time. That is what the estimate is given from, and it is right and fair for you to pay book time instead of actual time.

Look at it from my side. My boss needs to pay me, and estimate costs. He does this by doing book time. If I am good, and can beat book, I get paid more. If I am not so good, I make less money.

I used to book about 15-35 hrs per day. Made for a decent week...

Did they do a good job? If so, then you should be happy.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my reason #1 for not using the dealer for such service. if I ever charged a client like that, I'd

lose them.

basically, the dealer is able to get away with it because they state an average time for the service and bill accordingly. if the tech gets done in 1.7 hours of a quoted 3.0 hour job, he/she charges the customer 3 hours and moves on to the next job. personally, that doesn't make me feel comfortable that the tech did a complete job.

the first and last time that happened to me was the 90k service on my '95 90 -- i was so pissed off. they ended up doing further service for free.

start buying your parts from places like thepartsconnection.com and find an independent Audi/German car shop near you; save yourself some money and know that the mechanic there wants you to be a repeat customer unlike some dealers.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:27 AM

ripoff.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default and that's the problem. some techs are good and get the job done more efficiently, BUT some techs

rush the job just to move on to the next car. you'll find that they don't do the little things such as lube the doors or sunroof, or actually check everything they're supposed to. they only do the pull & replace work and move on.

this is why i ask for certain techs at certain dealers. i get a good relationship with them and let them know that i appreciate a job well done.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:32 AM

The keyword you use is "estimate". If the estimate is for a certain amount and the actual is
less, how can you be charged for the estimate??
Old 06-24-2002, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Point out to the Service Mgr how that is impossible for them to

work on your car for 9 hrs when the car was only at the shop for 6 hours. I also doubt they worked on the car during lunch hour. You should be charged for 5 hrs of labor.

Go back and be nice, but be firm.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:52 AM
Joey T

Because the tech should not be penalized for being quick and efficient.

How would you feel if the guy you got today was on his first job and it took him 22 hours? Would you then be any happier with paying actual time?

Book time is ther to protect you ( the customer ) from people who take to long to do simple jobs ( Yes Mr. Smith, that tune up is done, it will be $25 parts and $5,000 labor. ) and to protect me ( the Tech ) from getting paid less to do a job just because I am good at it.

If you are not happy with it, I suggest that you either not go to dealerships for service or get yourself a small toolbox and start getting dirty
I would guess the price looks better about halfway thru the job
Old 06-24-2002, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default An estimate should be the maximum and you pay the actual below that amount.

If the tech goes over the estimate due to inexperience or laziness, then the customer still only pays the estimate.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default did you get an estimate?

Book time is the way it works in this business. As is stated here it is for the protection of you and the profit of the dealer. The problem is you got ripped on book time. $1400 is simply too high and $900 for a timing belt is insanity. Call another dealer and find out what the book time is for the timing belt replacement of your car. Make sure they know it will need the update and belts. I'm betting it's under nine hours. Was that the waterpump too? If not you really got ripped. I just did the exact same service on my car this weekend. It took me about nine hours my first time through. That includes about two hours just to get it up on stands and get the bumper off. Man did that bumber **** me off. Holbert's wanted $550 for the timing belt. Savings $450.

Quick Reply: Big charges for 60K service/timing belt change