A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bike rack that doesn't touch sheet metal

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-1998, 01:14 AM
Leo

Really? YOu prefer the stock sports suspensions over an after market one? Why is that? What are advantages? I always thought that aftermarket was better.
Old 01-07-1999, 11:37 AM
svu

Default Bike rack that doesn't touch sheet metal

I have had a Yakima roof mount rack for my bike for years but with a new car I dont want the rack touching the sheet metal exterior. I saw a new Passat with a bike rack that attaches underneath the trunk and an extended tray that doesnt touch the car. This would be perfect . Does anyone know the brand name and would have any recommendations. <br>Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-1999, 12:57 PM
Another Drew

Default Not what you're looking for, but...

To avoid the inevitable scratches froma roof rack, I've cut out strips of static-cling window film shaped like the footpads of the roof rack. You can't see the film, it keeps out the dirt, and comes right off with no marks.<p>Drew
Old 01-07-1999, 01:15 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Two possibilities...

1) It was the rack made by BDI which attaches to a bracket mounted under your rear license plate. They advertise in the back of Car & Driver, Road and Track, etc. I have no experience with this rack but I do remember someone posted that they ordered one but ended up returning it as they didn't like the fit and finish. You might want to search the archives on this.<p>2) It was a receiver-hitch type rack. Tons of companies make these (including Yakima, Thule, Rhode Gear, etc.) Of course, you need to have a hitch installed also which brings the cost up.<p>Hope this helps.<p>p.s., I have a Yakima roof-rack on my A4 with 2 SteelHead bike mounts, and I love it. The only thing that comes in contact with the paint are the four rubber pads on the towers.<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar Chip, ABT Filter, Euro Headlights with<br>PIAA SuperWhite's, A!AvantGarde Grill, Smoked Side-Markers,<br>Clear Corner-Markers, Tint