A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

bike rack - roof or hitch method?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike rack - roof or hitch method?

I know the standard practice is a roof mounted bike rack, however, I was wondering if having a hitch installed then getting a rack for the hitch would be a better choice. Has anyone with a roof rack wished they had gone the hitch setup, or vise versa? My thinking on the hitch method is the easer mount and dismount of the bikes and also no rack contact with my paint. Please enlighten me as to the benefits and drawbacks of one or the other. Thanks
Old 01-16-2001, 04:19 PM

There is only one drawback to having a hitch rack. YOU'LL HAVE A TRAILER HITCH!!!
Old 01-16-2001, 04:25 PM

i think a roof rack looks hella cool...
Old 01-16-2001, 04:26 PM

Default I thought the hich mount would be barely visable when not in use?

It not like there would be a post sticking out a foot with a ball attached.
Old 01-16-2001, 04:28 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I had a hitch rack on my 95 integra...I gave it away (the rack)!

It was a yakima quarter-roc or something like that. Anyway, the cradle on was made of plastic, and the bike sat pretty high up when mounted. The wind drag created torqued the bike on the rack. I couldn't drive over 65 mph without worrying about whether that cradle was going to snap and send my Fisher across the highway. I had a very good view of that cradle twisting in my rear view mirror...not good!

Additionally, I somehow managed to strip the threads in the shaft that the bolt screws into. The soft metal the bolt of made of surprised me. I think it stripped from tightening the bolt down too much. Anyway, drilled out the bolt, and had to use a pin after that. From then on the rack wobbled, and there was nothing I could do about it. The roof racks seem to be much more stable, and that's what I'm getting for the A4 next spring.
Old 01-16-2001, 04:29 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

No, but the hitch receiver is still in plain view.
Old 01-16-2001, 04:29 PM

I think it would look ridiculous! My opinion. It'll still hang down, they cant hide that well!!!
Old 01-16-2001, 04:32 PM

lucky me as I don't need any material goods to pull that look off ;-)
Old 01-16-2001, 04:32 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default On more thing...most hitch mounts were designed for SUV's...

so you'll find that they stick out quite a bit (the Yak was the only one I could find that didn't stick out too far). Problem with that is that my car sat pretty low to the ground...a metal shaft sticking out of the hitch receive 18" would scrape or get hung up on things pulling in and out of driveways and parking lots.

If you plan on lowering your Audi...be careful about a rack that protrudes too far out.
Old 01-16-2001, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Followup question - for roof racks, Frame mount or Fork mount?

I hear that frame mounts just don't provide the same kind of security as a fork mount. I don't really care one way or another, just want to get the right one.

I was really hoping the sales rep for LLTEK would have called me back by today, today was the last day of the sale for their roof rack system. I'm thinking that if the sales dept is not on the ball, I'd hate to think what service is like. I think I'll go with Yakima system now.

Quick Reply: bike rack - roof or hitch method?