A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Blow off valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 10:01 AM
LAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow off valve?

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a blow off valve. I know that they do help the life of the turbo and my friend has one it sounds great. What would you guys say the best sounding on is. Thanks a lot
Old 02-07-2001, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Forget the blow-off valve.....what your A4 uses is a bypass valve (also called a diverter valve)....

....search archives for more info. Bailey and Forge are two manufacturer's you'll read about.
Old 02-07-2001, 10:10 AM

Default I was under the impression that you couldn't use a Blow-Off valve on an Audi....

I think you have to use a bypass valve like the one from bailey or something similair, because the air has to be vented back into the intake in order for the car to run properly. Check out www.turbo5.com they should have what you are looking for.
Old 02-07-2001, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helping life of turbo.....not what i've heard

I am not an engineer, or a good actor, but I have heard that with a BOV, the car will run rich, and that will take a toll on your turbo.

I know of one guy who has a BOV who has had some big turbo problems, and the tech told me it's due to the BOV.
Old 02-07-2001, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

It doesn't help anything, it hurts more.
Old 02-07-2001, 10:25 AM

Default If you have an A4, your car has a bypass valve already. There is no reason to replace it....

unless it fails, then you would want to by another bypass valve. This comes up almost every week here, and it's difficult to stress how bad the idea of a blow off is. Some people here claim their cars run OK with them. In actuality, the car is almost certainly running rich (check long-term fuel trim via VAG tool, it is a moving average so short term rich/lean conditions can't skew it) which will be detrimental in the long run. My personal opinion is that people who use them care more about sound/appearance than performance and so risk their car's health for that. This is fine, just know what you're getting into.
Old 02-07-2001, 10:28 AM

Default Forge 1.8t blow-off and bypass valves

I have a Forge bypass, and it's great. Nice quality, metal construction. However, Forge recently came out with a blow-off made specifically for the 1.8t. It's said not to cause any problems, nor will it cause the computer to generate any errors.

I've never used the Forge blow-off valve, so I can't vouch for it as far as it making your engine run rich. However, I was very impressed with quality of the Forge bypass that I got, so I imagine their blow-off is of the same quality build.

Check out <a href=http://www.stratmosphere.com>www.stratmosphere.com</a> for info and purchasing of Forge valves. (That's where I got my Forge bypass.) You should ask them their thoughts on the Forge blow-off and if it makes the engine run rich.
-joe
Old 02-07-2001, 10:37 AM

Default Replacing stock bypass before it fails...

You are correct that you can wait until the stock bypass starts to fail before you replace it. However, it's my understanding that the stock bypass can't hold the pressure created when "chipping" the car. It can hold the stock pressure, but I believe it maxes out at 10 or 12 psi. (Not sure on that number... can anyone comment?) After that the boost can start leaking through.

While this won't hurt anything, you're just wasting boost. Based on that information (and since I essentially have a Stage 2 kit) I decided to go ahead and replace the bypass sooner rather than later.
-joe
Old 02-07-2001, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Forge "Rally" blow-off valve will cause your A4 to run rich....& Strat no longer sells them
Old 02-07-2001, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can use a BOV as long as you recirulate the discharged air back into the intake tract...

but then it would become a bypass valve. At least you get the cool sound..muffled...but still sounds cool.

Quick Reply: Blow off valve?