A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

BMW 323 vs. Audi A4 1.8 (no flames please)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-1999, 01:22 PM
ChrisS

Ditto....Also if you live where it snows you'll love Quattro even more!
Old 08-24-1999, 02:47 PM
antony

Default I agree, there's so much car for the money - and a great warrantee too...

Spend the money you save on upgrades. This is a great forum and you'll get excellent advice. The A4 is a great platform to take you in many different directions. If you want luxury, it's got it with many convenience features for the price. If you want something that matches the BMW in speed, chip it (there are many good chips out there that will provide a satisfying drive). If you want an all out race car, there are many more parts for the 1.8T than for the 323i. You can modify the engine in excess of 240hp (M3 country), redo the suspension, brakes, transmission, you name it. Great car and great value. Oh, by the way, did I mention you get Quattro all wheel drive as well?
Old 08-24-1999, 02:51 PM
mpd333

Default An opinion

Once the archives are back up, there is a lot written on this. As long as you are comparing a BMW 323 to an Audi A4 - 2.8, then things are close. If comparing to a 1.8, then price becomes a factor. The big difference to me was that the BWN offers better road feedback in the steering. Since i just got my A4, I can say that with the sports package, the quattro makes up for it. I have included a link to the post I wrote yesterday - skip the first half and head towards the bottom. I compare several of the features to the 323.<ul><li><a href="http://www.a4.org/forum/m/a4/157693.phtml">http://www.a4.org/forum/m/a4/157693.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-24-1999, 03:36 PM
darian

Default Re: BMW 323 vs. Audi A4 1.8 (no flames please)

just ordered a 2000 a4, am currently driving a 93 325is. the one overriding factor that led me to an a4 was VALUE. awd, 4 doors(lower insurance on a new a4 than a six year old bmw!!!!!), for all you hear here - excellent reliability, and again awd - here in chicago, my bmw is undrivable 2 months a year, traction control on a rwd car is at best a band aid. i will miss my wonderful, torqe - y inline six,especially on dry country roads, but i look forward to 190 hp,not getting stuck in 2 inches of snow, and a great service plan/warranty for less money.
Old 08-24-1999, 04:25 PM
Rodney

Default Best way to describe it is the A4 is an easier car to drive well.

I went through this myself last year, and the 323i was a close second to the A4. Most of the major points have been covered. Both are great cars. I prefer the many comfort and convenience features of the A4 and prefer the control layout to that of the BMW. Also, the A4 is more luxurious and a great long distance cruiser. When it comes to performance, the nod goes to the BMW (though not by much), but I find the A4 more fun to drive. Also, and very significant, the A4 is an easier car to drive well. It is much more forgiving and will make you feel like a better driver than you are. It always makes me look good at autocrosses ;-).

Take them both for a long test drive (at least an hour) and really put them through their paces. If you don't feel comfortable pushing the limits of these cars, ask the salesperson to show you what they can do. If after that it's still a toss up, option them out with the equipment you would want and see if you can justify the extra cost of the BMW (you've got to strip it down to get the prices close) to yourself (remember, liking it better IS a valid justification). Both are excellent cars and you can't go wrong either way.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 08-24-1999, 04:40 PM
Morgan Conrad

Default Here's a test

This is semi-serious, based on some postings on Edmunds. A BMW 323 owner was exhilarated when he touched the gas on a rainy curve and his car went into a power-slide, and he got to handle his car back into line. If that sounds exciting to you, go for the bimmer. If touching the gas on a rainy curve and going right where you point the car is what you want, pick the Audi Quattro.
Old 08-24-1999, 05:06 PM
Arch57

Quattro is what sold me...and after 25 years in RWD it is a real plus
Old 08-24-1999, 05:44 PM
DrBimmer

Default performance diff. not by much?? I am sorry, but....

I do not intend to flame anyone, but the fact that i am infact a 323i owner might make this seem as a flame. The 323 does 0-60 in 7.1/8.2 (man./step.) and the 1.8T does it in 8.4/9.8 (man./tip.). This is clearly a big difference. Now if you compare modified cars, the 1.8 os MUCh easier to get great results from, but in stock form, the Bimmer wins by a large margin.

Once again, this is NOT intended to be a flame.
Old 08-24-1999, 07:08 PM
Will Allen

Default Check the writeup on my page for my thoughts....

<ul><li><a href="http://vu.union.edu/~allenw">Will's A4 page</a></li></ul>
Old 08-24-1999, 07:51 PM
CLK 430 & A41.8t

6 cyl, Thousand $$$ more? 1.something seconds faster? Not in the same league.

Quick Reply: BMW 323 vs. Audi A4 1.8 (no flames please)