A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

BMW quality

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-1998, 08:52 AM
pdw

Default BMW quality

I actually think BMW's are nice cars(nicer bikes), but I had an experience at the Boston car show that I though would entertain you guys.<p>My girlfriend and I were sitting in a 323 and looking around. I looked up towards the interior light and saw what looked like a little pull down compartment for a garage door opener or something . It looked slightly open so I tried to open it more. I quickly realized it was just a loose piece of trim. I tried to push it back but when I did it fell on the floor and the interior light dropped so it was hanging from a cord. There were about 10 people watching this and there were two salesmen standing in front of the car. I just got out and walked away.
Old 11-11-1998, 06:16 PM
DwayneC

Default Jaguar quality

In a similar story, I was at the Toronto autoshow a few years ago. I was in the Jag booth looking at the XJ6 (I believe) and evesdropping in on a sales pitch by one of the sales guys.<p>You had to see this guy. He was a complete upperclass want-to-be twit - complete with waxed curled up moustache. He was spouting on about how great Jaguar's quality was. After listening to him ramble about this for what seemed forever, I had to interject.<p>I jumped into the conversation, "There is a big paint flaw right here" and I pointed to where what looked like a bubble had formed in the paint and popped leaving a spot exposing the primer coat about half the size of your pinky fingernail. It was in the channel running next to the trunk and very noticeable. <p>I then walked away.<p>I felt a bit like an *** for blowing his pitch. But if you are going to bring a car, at that price, to a show, with a blemish that obvious, and then spout about quailty, I figure you`d have it coming to you.<p>DC
Old 11-12-1998, 02:24 AM
Lucas

It was probably the rust coming through. nt.
Old 11-12-1998, 07:44 AM
pdw

Or maybe there was an electrical short burning the paint away.