A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

BMW vs. Audi...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999, 05:36 PM
Jay

Default BMW vs. Audi...

I am trying to think of one good reason to buy an Audi over a BMW. The A4 is a decent car but the exterior styling is bland and the interior doesn't seem to make much sense (Pontiac-like). Performance is good...as is the 323 or 328. Neither has the quality of a Japanese brand. I'm leaning towards the 323...
Old 12-13-1999, 05:40 PM
7an

Default Just in case this is *not* a flame... (more)

...my opinion is that the exterior intentionally displays a great deal of subtle elegance, not blandness. Also, the interior has been praised all over the automotive media and is as far from a Pontiac as you'll ever get.
Old 12-13-1999, 05:52 PM
smok da krak

Default Lay off the crack!

Nothing bland about the exterior styling. The A4 is one of greatest styling achievements that has come out this decade.
you say neither BMW or Audi has the quality of a Japanese brand? Wow! You must have some really good weed! again, pls. lay off the crack, you'll need all them brain cells some day.
as for the interior, that's what stands out about A4's. it has the best interior in it's class, the media praises it, we here at Audiworld love it.
Old 12-13-1999, 06:04 PM
Monkeyboy

Default Some Reasons...

First off, have you spent sufficient time researching both cars. When I first thought of a new car in this $ range, I instantly thought of BMW and the prestige of the name. I never heard of Audi or Quattro before. After research and test drives, I choose the Audi. Both are fine cars, but here are some differences:
<b>Quattro</b>
Audis All Wheel Drive, BMW is rear wheel drive

<b>Options</b>
What are you going to spend on the BMW to get it at the comprable Audi level. Wheel/Tires, sport package, folding rear seats, etc

<b>Tunability</b>
The A4 (1.8T) is one of the most tunable cars around. Chipping it for @$400-$600 will give you @40+ horsepower, bringing you up to just under 200hp.

<b>Uniqueness</b>
In my opinion, BMWs are almost too common, granted they are great cars. All things being close to equal, I would choose a more unique model in the Audi.

You need to do your homework, determine what criteria is most important to you before you get glazed over with a name.

Stick around this board for awhile, search the archives. You may like what you see. I think you are doing the right thing in going for a German car - they kick butt.

Good Luck!
Old 12-13-1999, 06:10 PM
Frank B

Default Re: BMW vs. Audi...

I prefer both the Audi styling and interior. The BMW is nice, but will become dated. The A4 will still look great 15 years from now.

I have only had my A4 for a few months, but fit and finish is better than any car I have owned and I have had not a bit of trouble with it. Over the years I have owned eight new Japanese cars.

Frank B
Old 12-13-1999, 06:16 PM
Peter

Default So buy a Japanese car then...

You say that NEITHER the Audi nor the BMW has the quality of a Japanese car ?
So why are you even considering the BMW ?

Judging by your naive post, you seem like somebody who has never driven a car.
Or maybe just never a foreign car -- Japanese or German.
The Japanese make some fine cars. But there is nothing quite like the feeling of quality in a solid German car.

If you haven't test driven any of the cars, then please go do so before making senseless remarks like this one.
If you HAVE driven the cars, then PLEASE buy something other than an Audi. We here at AudiWorld like our cars, and are even quite enthusiastic about them (hence we are "enthusiasts.") We know the cars aren't perfect. And nor are we.
But the cars are PERFECT FOR US.

If a BMW 323 or a Japanese car would suit your needs better, than get one of those.

And if you are asking us -- Audi enthusiasts -- for advice, please don't include your naive judgements along with your questions.

-- Peter
1998.5 Pelican Blue 1.8TQMS Garrett 1 bar
Old 12-13-1999, 06:19 PM
John

Default Talk about naive posts, BMW's age very nicely, older M5's, 635 CSi's etc etc etc.

What are you talking about? BMW's look great any year. Older Audi's look older, older BMW's do not. I like my A4, but get real.
Old 12-13-1999, 06:29 PM
slack

Default Pontiac interior? I dont see it....

I hate Pontiac's grey chicklets. Every button looks like a grey chiclet. I see none in the4 A4.

FWIW
slack
99.5 A4 2.8
Old 12-13-1999, 06:31 PM
Nicky

The only thing that doesn't make sense is you.....
Old 12-13-1999, 06:50 PM
Peter

Default A matter of personal preference

I agree that the older Audis look old, whereas the older BMWs age much nicer.

However I don't think this holds true anymore.
With the introduction of the A-series cars, and even the 80/90/100 cars, Audi has some great designs that will continue to look beautiful long after this body style has been retired.

I love the old 5 series cars, and the 2002 is a timeless classic. But the current and previous 3-series cars are very "trendy-looking."
The current one is quite ugly, IMHO. And the previous model looks quite dated (as well it should, since it's been around a while).
The current 5 and 7 series cars are still beautiful though, and will always be.

Just my $.02,
Peter

Quick Reply: BMW vs. Audi...