A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bose 6.5" rear deak speaker fix. (If you have a Bose system you might want to read this)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 05:14 PM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose 6.5" rear deak speaker fix. (If you have a Bose system you might want to read this)

I had a problem with the rear deck 6.5s rattling like hell. I thought they were completely blown. I consulted the forums and was hearing that it would take 3 weeks for the dealer to get the new ones in, even if the extended warranty on my used A4 even covered them. I went to Best Buy and they were out of stock of the Pioneers that they said would fit in the rear(fortunately for me). So I went by a local sound shop and brought in one of my "blown" 2 ohm 6.5" Bose speaker. He looked at it closely and discovered that the glue that was holding the center bubble "cap" on had begun to seperate. Thus creating a hairline crack seperating this from the speaker. This was undoubtedly the cause for my rattling. I went home, carefully peeled away the center cap on the speaker and once removed, cleaned off all of the old adhesive. I then used some gel type superglue to re-attach this this back to the speaker. I gave it a few hours to set and voila! The speakers sound like new again. No trace of any vibration or rattling. This appears to be a very common problem and from the looks of things Bose used a horrible adhesive to place these caps onto the speaker. Please let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.