A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bose Radio Fix from Dealer and needed advice on service (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2000, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Radio Fix from Dealer and needed advice on service (long)

I thought this might be of interest to some of you. I don't remember having read about it hear before, but I probably just missed it.

I brought my car in for its first maintenance yesterday. In addition to the 5000 mile work, I had a list of minor problems with the car. First, my radio has had the typical frequency jumping problem (not as often as some others). In addition it has bass/treble/balance "creeping". (I've heard that several others have had this problem, but not as many as the frequency problem). The CD player also jumps around some. Secondly, my trip computer has been acting weird. It will occasionally just reset itself on restarting the car. (I haven't been near the reset button and it resets everything). The top display of the trip computer that shows the radio information also sometimes goes blank.

Anyways, when I listed the problems the service manager said that there is fix for the frequency shifting problem. I believe he said that the radio has be be reprogrammed or maybe it was reset. He said that they have had success with it.

As for all of my other problems, he said he had never heard of them before and that they would check the error messages and connections, but that unless it reoccured for them they probably couldn't do anything. I wasn't necessarily surprised with this, but not happy either. I know that some of you have had success with getting parts replaced, but he said they wouldn't just start replacing parts without knowledge that it was the problem. I understand their problem and point, but it also doesn't satisfy me. My perspective is that while I understand the difficulties that they face, it had annoying problems. It is their job to find the problem. Saying, well it is too hard, throwing their hands up and telling the customer just to get use to it doesn't seem right. For example, the point of a trip computer is to monitor gas mileage, speed etc over a long trip or extended periods. When it resets itself before the trip is over the computer is useless.

While I understand the difficulties that the dealer faces and that these aren't critical problems, I would appreciate your comments on handling the dealer and my expectations.
Old 08-30-2000, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That should be Symphony not bose, my mistake!