A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

bose / symphony II muddy midbass solution...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bose / symphony II muddy midbass solution...

i've read a lot of posts on this subject concerning the "hidden eq" setting on the symphony 1 headunit. i'm not convinced modifying eq settings can ever solve the midbass bloat problem...eq is almost NEVER a good solution to uneven frequency response. besides this isn't even an option on the symphony 2 headunit...

here's a better solution:

the heart of the problem seems to lie with the SVC "feature" which adjusts volume based on vehicle speed. i believe that it is making adjustments in addition to volume level...specifically, it seems to act as a variable loudness contour as well...in other words, bass boost at low volumes and low speeds...i hate 'loudness' contours on any audio equipment. i am a big proponent of avoiding eq entirely...keep those treble/mid/bass controls flat!

disabling SVC seems to fix the problem! now don't go thinking the bose system will sound incredible...it won't be an audiophile level system. but with SVC off is does sound MUCH better...extreme midbass bloat goes away....mids/highs open up considerably. even the bass sounds deeper (altho lower in level).

to disable SVC on symphony 2 headunits:
1. turn on radio
2. hold down menu button for several seconds.
3. when SVC shows up, you can adjust it's "level" with the vol ****. the range of adjustment is from off to 5. turn it OFF!
4. turn off the head unit
5. turn it back on and enjoy.

note: there are a few other nice settings you can change if you repeatedly pressing the menu button from the svc menu....max turn on level, etc...

enjoy!
d.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: bose / symphony II muddy midbass solution...

step 3. might be incorrect...i think you adjust svc level with the right hand ****...not the vol. ****....can't remember at the moment...