A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bose system head unit the same as concert? Startac integration? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-1999, 06:47 AM
Greg

Default Bose system head unit the same as concert? Startac integration? (more)

I was wondering, is the head unit for the Bose system the same as the stock and just the speakers are different? Also I wanted to know, I have the Motorola StarTac phone (Sprint PCS) and was wondering how difficult it is to wire it into my car, what parts do i need, etc.
Old 09-20-1999, 07:38 AM
Carlos

Default Not just the speakers........

Although the head unit is the same as the standard concert radio, the Bose setup adds a separate amplifier and the upgraded speakers. As in many cars that offer Bose as an option, there's an anti-clipping circutry also incorporated, I think within the amplifier. What this does is to "scale down" the signal whenever its magnitude exceeds the capabilitier of the amplifier and speakers; this is done to prevent audible distortion, although it really induces another type of distortion that turns out in "coloured" reproduction of sound. It also has some kind of bass compensation that boosts bass levels at low volumes, kind of a variable loudness function.

Someone posted a few weeks ago a way to find out the version of Bose you have (something like pushing the XX buttoun while turning the radio on). I assume this is related to the anti-clipping circuitry and/or bass compensating characteristics. Can't find the link now.

I just got my cellular upgraded to the startac, but haven't found anything usefull to integrate it to the A4 prewiring. From 99.5 on the RJ-45 jack has been moved to the inner of the armrest, and my owner's manual shows a portable phone adapter that is pictured using a Nokia (asked my dealer but has no clue). I think the prewiring and OEM car-phone are made by motorola, that's why I got the startac. I e-mailed Audi AG inquiring about the adapter, no response yet.

If you have better luck with the startac, please let me know.

Regards
Carlos
Old 09-20-1999, 08:08 AM
Shabbis

Default Bose version number: Press the radio preset 3 button and the on button at the same time.

nt
Old 09-20-1999, 08:51 AM
Greg

Default hmmm Upgrading Bose stuff (more)

Here is another question then, if I put in a 3rd party head unit, will it retain the anti clipping function? Also how will the sound quality be if i put an awesome Alpine unit in there, normally that boosts the quality of the whole system, but since the bose is tailored exactly for this car will i decrease the quality by changing the head unit? Also I have heard that if I change the head unit I wont be able to use the 6 disc changer anymore... is this true? any workaround? THanks for your help!
Old 09-20-1999, 09:13 AM
Carlos

Default Re: hmmm Upgrading Bose stuff (more)

If you get the Alpine head you will not retain the anti-clipping circutry, provided that you will most likely replace the Bose amp with some aftermarket unit or will run the speakers using the head's power. I've not seen the connections to the Bose amp, but could bet you these are not standard RCA plugs. If you were interested in retaining this amp you would have to make some sort of adaptor to drive the Alpine signal into it. Anyway, if you are upgrading the audio system I see no point retaining the original amplifier.

Regarding the CD changer, you could still use it if you were going with a panasonic head unit; I personally prefer Alpine stuff.

Upgrading the sound quality on the A4 can be done several ways. The most common and simple is to just upgrade the speakers; the bose are pretty fine, but there are many better. IMHO, the best option would be to build an entirely new system, although that will not come cheap, you will discard the CD changer, and will loose some of the features such as GALA and the cluster's radio readout.

Personally, I've saved my previous audio components and will get them installed in a Golf GTI I'll be getting as a company car in the next couple of months. The Bose system is not the best you can get, but is pretty decent and prefer not no tear my A4 apart.

Carlos
Old 09-20-1999, 09:20 AM
Reggie

Good summary Carlos