A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bose too muddy in bass I have the cure!!!!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2000, 10:58 PM
Juan Mendoza

Default Bose too muddy in bass I have the cure!!!!! (long)

I have been complaining about poor bass response about the stock bose. it hits hard but when you turn up the volume the sound gets distorted. The bose amp does a good job in producing clatiry but i often find my self switching from -2 to -4 in bass with my treb set at +3. i have blown 2 sets of speakers (the woofers in the rear deack) dealer switched them out 2 times already.

The problem: is the Bose amp. it tries to produce bass but it is underpowered. What causes speakers to blow in underpowered amp trying to produce stronger signals. the bose amp has a weird setting for the subs (stock 6.5") it is too muddy and the response is unpredictable.

The cure: add a single 2 channel amp for the rear speakers. I originaly purchased 2 IB 4 JL's to be installed with my Alpine MRV T503 amp. i just got done installing the amp (took a good day of work). i connected the amp to only the rear and adjusted the speaker levels. The amp i used has a built in crossover with a boost controll. this allows to fine tune what type of base you want. basically i tuned it to a point where i get nice low smooth bass. i nolonger have to run it at -2 or -4 mine is set at 0 with no problems of boomyness. if i want more boom just turn up the corssover or adjust the radio.

I would highly recomend getting an amp for the rear bose speakers they are good speakers if powered properly.
Old 01-26-2000, 04:52 AM
Foo

Default Unfortunately.....

The impedence of the bose speakers is not made for a normal amplifier to push. You risk damaging the speakers and the new amp running the speakers this way. Part of the "problem" with a bose car stereo is the amp is specific to the bose speakers and eq.
If this works for you good luck, unfortunately i forsee bad things for your equipment.

Darren

IASCA competitor and general car audio nut
`00 A4 this week perhaps??? woohooo
Old 01-26-2000, 08:20 AM
AlexD

Default Hey Darren, do you plan to do any heavy audio mods to the A4? I'd like to know what you'd do. (nt)

NT
Old 01-26-2000, 08:45 AM
Foo

Default Current plans are....

to have a pair of kickpanels built ( i bought a tiptronic..no clutch ) ) for a pair of Image Dynamics Chameleons 6.5's.... one image dynamics IDQ12 and an Xtant604 off the stock head unit, removing the rear speakers totally.
Thats it as far as i know, i will NOT be doing a competition install in the audi, i think im done with all of that work and cost. I will still visit some of the shows, perhaps help judge but the audi will be just for me to be happy in.