A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bose Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only change you need is to add a K-line.

I no longer have my B5 Bentley manual as I sold my A4 last year.

You need some info from the Bentley to accomplish this.

For the Concert the Top 8 Pin plug needs a K line on pin 3. Remove the (12 volt) existing wire and tape it off.

The k-line is the diagnostic interface to the entire car. Splicing into it will let you configure your concert. If you don't do this you are stuck with whatever the previous car had.Use Vag.com to change the settings.

Check T-Kan's website for details on setup.

The climate control is the closest "module" to the radio. It is connected to the K-line so it's a convenient place to "tap" in.

I seem to recall the wire is green/ violet on plug 1A. Check Bentley wiring to be sure.

You could Tap in anywhere that just seemed to be easy as it's only 150 mm away.

Like Nate says Bose isn't worth it. I did it because I don't like aftermarket stereos and wanted to use an iPod in my car. (I installed a blitzsafe adapter)
Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly makes a person an audiophile? I have about 50k$ in my home system, but I can assure you I am not an audiophile. I also have perfect pitch and spent time as a professional musician, but that doesnt cut it much either. To me an audiophile (or those I know who refer to themselves as Audiophiles) is someone more interested in the machine specs than the enjoyment of the music. The Bose isnt a bad system, there are better, and they cost more, but for standard issue car systems I am happy with what I hear, mostly I want to hear the 3076 gt30r whine. I really dont think the word Audiophile has much business being used with car stereo, dont think there is much use for the word at all. Love of the music is whats most important.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
The only change you need is to add a K-line.

I no longer have my B5 Bentley manual as I sold my A4 last year.

You need some info from the Bentley to accomplish this.

For the Concert the Top 8 Pin plug needs a K line on pin 3. Remove the (12 volt) existing wire and tape it off.

The k-line is the diagnostic interface to the entire car. Splicing into it will let you configure your concert. If you don't do this you are stuck with whatever the previous car had.Use Vag.com to change the settings.

Check T-Kan's website for details on setup.

The climate control is the closest "module" to the radio. It is connected to the K-line so it's a convenient place to "tap" in.

I seem to recall the wire is green/ violet on plug 1A. Check Bentley wiring to be sure.

You could Tap in anywhere that just seemed to be easy as it's only 150 mm away.

Like Nate says Bose isn't worth it. I did it because I don't like aftermarket stereos and wanted to use an iPod in my car. (I installed a blitzsafe adapter)
What kind of functionality exactly does the K-line provide to the radio? Would this K-Line be the missing piece of the puzzle that would allow me to get channel info on my Instrument cluster LCD display or is it just used for configuration via VAGCOMM? Also if I am looking into upgrading the steering wheel to one that has radio controls in it how would I go about wiring it up? Would wires run form the wheel to radio unit or from wheel to On board computer and the computer allows the radio to communicate with other "systems" in the car through K-Line?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well said. The Blose system in my allroad rocks. I love it. 'Course it sounds far better than any B5 factory system I ever heard before so maybe the '02 AR is a better system? Must be? Anyway - I love it and wouldn't ever bother doing anything different. If it died tomorrow I'd put a new stock one right back in...... and this is after years of installing aftermarket systems for myself and several customers. It's clean, looks nice and is user friendly.

*gets off soapbox*
Old 04-10-2009, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

K line is the diagnostic interface it's only for testing / configuration.

If you want the kind of things you are talking about you need to find a 1999- 2001 car and strip out the cluster, steering column, steering wheel and several looms.

The steering column is a different shaft size on the post 98 cars and won't fit. Obviously the wheel won't fit either.

Dream on!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

K line is the diagnostic interface it's only for testing / configuration.

If you want the kind of things you are talking about you need to find a 1999- 2001 car and strip out the cluster, steering column, steering wheel and several looms.

The steering column is a different shaft size on the post 98 cars and won't fit. Obviously the wheel won't fit either.

Dream on!
Thanks for your help bro. I will probably keep what I have and get one of those adapters. I will upgrade to the concert if the adapter does not work with the delta that I have.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by moloveshisaudi1254
Anybody know how much work is required to upgrade the audio system in my 1996 A4 Quattro to a Bose setup? Do you think the wiring is there and I just need to install the Bose amp? Also, I don't have speakers in my rear doors. I think BOSE setup has speakers in all four doors and two in the rear parcel shelf. I might need to get trim pieces for the rear doors and the speakers(because my rear doors don't have speaker slots, the trim is just flat). Would I have to change out my speakers in the front doors also? What is the Ohm rating on the bose speakers vs. non Bose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I wish I could tell you but I don't know. I can tell you this though...

I have the factory Bose set up on my 05 A6 and it is simply unbelievable. Talk about rockin' out!!!

It's the best factory system I've heard so far. Better than the Shaker system that was in my Mustang... and it was pretty darn good.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by moloveshisaudi1254
Thanks for your help bro. I will probably keep what I have and get one of those adapters. I will upgrade to the concert if the adapter does not work with the delta that I have.
Nothing works with the Delta.Don't waste your time.

I owned my 96 for 11 years, pretty much researched everything on the Delta. The adapters plug in OK but don't work.

Buy a concert on Ebay with code for about $100. Blitzsafe adapters start at $70.
If you have an 8 pin changer you should be able to resell it and cover your cost.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nothing works with the Delta.Don't waste your time.

I owned my 96 for 11 years, pretty much researched everything on the Delta. The adapters plug in OK but don't work.

Buy a concert on Ebay with code for about $100. Blitzsafe adapters start at $70.
If you have an 8 pin changer you should be able to resell it and cover your cost.
That sucks, because I don't have a cd changer. I will probably still buy the concert and the adapter once the rest of the car is fixed. Thanks.