A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Boston Acoustics or MB quart???(more)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-1999, 07:34 AM
kiho

Default Boston Acoustics or MB quart???(more)

I've been told that 6.5" would fit for both the front and back, but in the FAQ's the guy says 5.25" would be tight for the front.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me what would fit and if anyone has tried to replace there stock speakers with something larger.

I was looking at Boston Acoustics and MB quart speakers, any suggestions?
Old 12-04-1999, 07:50 AM
Foo

Default From my knowledge.....

you can get 5.25 in the front and thats about it without cutting on your door panel (this is for current gen a4) and yes 6.5 will fit in the rear.
Please consider other brands of speakers before following the flock... if you have listened to the brands mentioned and like them then get them. Dont buy speakers via word of mouth. Its your ears and your choice. There are ALOT of great brands for the same price, a bit more, and a tad less if u look listen and compare.

Darren
`00 A4 week 49 (audio upgrade already started)
`91 Integra (Car Audio & Electronics Jan 2000)
Old 12-04-1999, 08:06 AM
kiho

Default Re: From my knowledge.....

hey thanks for the reply...i was just wondering, what speakers have you heard and what would you recommend.

I just went thru the archives and there is a lot about mb quart and bostons but not much else...what do you think about the stealth boxes??

thanks again..

kiho
1.8tqm
Old 12-04-1999, 08:15 AM
Foo

Default Just my opnion

but the MBQ's are decent (i personally dont like their tweeters....but alot do) Image Dynamics, DynAudio, Xtant.... most of these sets are components though and not coaxials... though the ID and Dyn can be configured to play as coax's (ie the tweeter can mount to the midrange cone)
Its personal taste honestly... i can suggest as can others but until u go listen, its quite pointless. One mans trash is anothers treasure.
Unfortunately my ear hears music very well and my trash is not cheap. LOL.

Darren
`00 a4 somewhere in week49
`91 Integra (IASCA competitor)
Old 12-04-1999, 08:19 AM
kiho

thanks..I appreciate your reply
Old 12-04-1999, 08:20 AM
Michael Kaunitz

Default Re: Boston Acoustics or MB quart???(more)

Go with what sounds good to you, but also remember, that speakers will sound very different from the demo room when you install them in your car. If you have an install shop that you trust, they will be able to give you the best advice. My shop sold me on the Canton speakers over the MB Quarts, and I have to say, the system is stellar. Install prowess has a big impact on the final product. As for the stealth box, my system includes the JL audio A4 stealth box..amd it is fantastic! Very precise..and quick, which is unusual for an infinite baffle setup. I dont know where you live, but if you are in the DC area I would be more than happy to let you hear it. One final note, if you are having your system done by an installer, keep in mind that the A4 is a VERY difficult car to work on.

good luck.

99.5 A4 2.8 quattro 5 spd
sport package
sport suspension (KW coilovers going in next week)
Stebro Exhaust
K&N Filter (PES kit next month)

audio system
Nakamichi 45Z head unit
Nakamichi amps (4x50 and 2x50)
Canton 51/4" two ways (front and rear doors)
JL Audio stealth box
Old 12-04-1999, 08:30 AM
kiho

Default Re: Boston Acoustics or MB quart???(more)

wow...I'm overwhelmed with the friendly atmosphere of this forum....anyhow.

I'm in Jersey but will be in Maryland for the holidays. Maybe we can meet up, if not thanks for the offer.

kiho
1.8tqm
Old 12-04-1999, 10:02 AM
Another Drew

Default I have mb's and will be in Balto. for the holidays

Your welcome to check mine out. I'll be back and forth between Towson and DC. Just email me if you'd like to check mine out.

Andrew
00 S4
5.25 MB Quartz Referenz/MusiComp crossovers front
Rear deck speakers currently disconnected
Xtant amp
10" Xtant sub in custom enclosure
Old 12-04-1999, 10:28 AM
Warren Wang

Default Another option

I'm going with Focals (Bora 5.25") in the front. Dynaudio would be a real tight fit since they are actually 5.75". Someone emailed me that they couldn't fit the Focal Mistrals in their A3, so I backed out of that and went with the Boras.

Anyhow, my home speakers use Focal midwoofers, and they sound really great (Legacy Audio). So that's what I'm going with in my car too!

Go waste some time doing research at SoundDomain, and EliteCarAudio. I did, and I think it's going to pay off.

S4 on order,
Warren<ul><li><a href="http://www.sounddomain.com">SoundDomain link</a></li></ul>
Old 12-04-1999, 10:32 AM
Foo

Depends on the installer who did Another Drew's S4 said wasnt too bad...

Quick Reply: Boston Acoustics or MB quart???(more)