A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

BRAKE NOISE (not squeal)! anyone? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-1999, 11:24 AM
stevebrown

Default BRAKE NOISE (not squeal)! anyone? (long)

I've had a low speed grinding noise since about 14000miles. 2.8 FWD, stock pads, calipers, rotors. Here is the history:<p>At around 14K, I noticed the last few feet of a leisurely stop produced a slight grinding noise. I didn't hear it unless the windows were down and radio was off. By 15K it had gotten to the point where I could feel it. So at the 15K service, I told them about it & they (McGill in Houston) said, "Known problem, TSB for it". The line item was MODIFIED ROTORS/PADS PER TSB. I found a TSB for brake squeal/grind that basically is some type of roughening up of the surfaces on the rotors and pads to deglaze them. I'm sure it's the one they used.<p>First off, the squeal is GONE, and I mean GONE. No noise at all. However, now at 16.3K, I've got the grind again. It's worse than ever. Again, only the last few (10-20) feet of a leisurely stop does it....but you hear it and feel it.<p>Anyone else? I'd like to see if others had a similar problem, so I can insure we get this fixed next time. <p>Thanks,<p>steve
Old 06-29-1999, 11:33 AM
RickS

I have the same problem but Vasek Polak says it is normal, B.S. I know more about the car than they do!
Old 06-29-1999, 11:53 AM
David White

Default I had the same problem.....

I had the exact same low speed brake grinding that you described and it started happening around the same time. I turned down (cut) my front rotors because i warped them on track (i had the grinding before i went on track) but the problem didnt go away.<p>Recently i installed new front rotors (brembo OE replacements) and front pads (Carbotech Eng., Super Street F compound) and i havent heard or felt the grinding once since then......keep in mind i replaced the pads and rotors because i needed new rotors and better pads....not just because of the grinding.<p>Have you considered aftermarket pads?? I havent heard of anyone that runs aftermarket pads having this grinding problem. Basically, the stock pads suck!! They squeal, they dust real bad, and they transmit too much heat to run on track!!<p>David White<br>98 2.8qm (H&R coilovers) with quiet brakes
Old 06-29-1999, 01:25 PM
Raj

Default Re: BRAKE NOISE (not squeal)! anyone? (long)

I have had the EXACT same problem since the 6 mile mark (i.e., since I bought the car). I can actually feel it through the brake pedal. Local dealer says it's 'normal'. In fact, they would not even look at the brakes! I did find the TSB for 'squealing brakes' so I am going to take it to them and have them perform the procedure outlined in it (hope they agree to do it - if they do not, what recourse do I have?).
Old 06-29-1999, 03:07 PM
Steve H

The same thing happened on my 97 1.8TQ with 44,000 mile. Dealer replaced both front and rear rotors and pads under warranty.
Old 06-29-1999, 05:20 PM
Bob Petruska

Default I drove an A8 and the same grind is there...$70K car with grind?

-
Old 06-29-1999, 06:33 PM
Raj

Could you provide us with the dealer's diagnosis? The service advisor simply smirks when I mention that I 'learned about the fix on the internet'. What prompted the dealer to replace the brake pads and rotors?
Old 06-29-1999, 08:28 PM
Reggie

I heard there is a recall on Audis in Northern Europe due to salt caused corrosion in the brakes resulting in lack of stopping in water.
Old 06-30-1999, 08:35 AM
Steve H

The noise came from my right front wheel only. I had the service guy in my car and went for a test drive. Once I re-produced the problem, he just said they will take a look at it. The next thing I heard from the dealer was they were going to replace all four rotors and break pads. Maybe I am lucky but I still don't understand why they need to replace all four rotors and pads. Hope this helped!!