A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Brake systems rant with some questions....(long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake systems rant with some questions....(long)

OK, lemme start by saying that I am by no means an expert in braking. As a matter of fact, during an exchange about Brembo vs. Stoptech with James R. (I think) a few weeks ago, he lost me with the physics of it all.

But I still got to thinking about what a big brake kit really does. I came up with some things that I wasn't able to explain to myself. So, maybe one of you can find the fault or truth in my logic. OK, here it is.

I know that the stock brake system has enough stopping power to engage the ABS. My point is, on a limited basis, the stock system can apply enough power, that the limiting factor for stopping distance become the friction between the tires and the road surface. Granted, repeated high speek stops would reduce the stock system's ability to apply that power through pad fade and/or fluid fade. But I think my logic is sound.

So let's look at a big brake kit, be it Stoptech, Brembo, or whatever. I think we can all agree that these kits as well have enough stopping power to engage the ABS, again making the limiting factor tire-to-road friction.

It seems to me that even though the big brake kits can apply more stopping power, they can only apply the same amount as the stock system...the amount up to the point of ABS engagement. After that, the extra "braking power" is useless. So, it is physically sound logic to assume that on a limited basis, ie when the various brake systems are withing normal operating temps, the big brake kits would not improve stopping distance over stock brakes?

So the real benefit from a big brake kit would not be improved stopping distances, but rather their ability to dissipate the heat generated during repeated braking. Since they can move more heat than the stock system, they are less susceptable to fade and therefore can reach the ABS threshhold longer.

Phew....

Am I wrong?
Old 05-31-2002, 08:27 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default think of it more like a dyno plot

as stopping power is the area under the curve...the bigger brakes grab harder/sooner with less effort, due to mechanical advantage.

Your stopping distance will improve because of that factor. Otherwise you are correct... you quickly learn that your tires are inadequate to get all the braking power to the ground.

i could continue on...but wont =)
Old 06-01-2002, 05:37 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You are correct, and so is WJM.

The stock brakes will work fine on the street (though I prefer the benefit that WJM speaks of, which I think is largely a function of increased brake torque available by means of the larger rotor), but the largest advantage is being able to repeat hard stops...on...a...track.