A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Brakes... Slotted or Cross drilled ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2000, 06:03 PM
Carlos

Default Brakes... Slotted or Cross drilled ???

My buddy told me that he can install either set up for my 96 2.8 nonquattro... not to shabby of a price also... what are the advantages ? dissadvantages ? any advice ? thanks... looked in archives... didn't find anything.
will it improve braking in wet roads ?
Old 01-24-2000, 06:16 PM
Dave C

Default Re: Brakes... Me too !!

Need new brakes too !
Front rotors gone. Anyone done a reasonable upgrade ? Thinking Brembo cross drilled. Do they warp faster ? They look much better. What pads have LESS dust ?

Anyone ?

Bueller ?
Old 01-24-2000, 06:19 PM
Wayne H.

Default Go with slotted

Go with slotted rotors if you are choosing between the two. From what I understand the main purpose of slotted or drilled rotors is the help with the removal of off-gases produced during the braking process. However, when using slotted or drilled rotors, you are decreasing the surface area between the pads and the rotors so you may actually see increases in stopping distances.

I am not an expert, but from what I understand with drilled-rotors you are increasing the chance of cracked rotors (since poorly drilled holes will lead stress concentrations which may lead to cracks). The slotted rotors should also help remove off-gases more readily.

From what I understand, slotted and/or drilled rotors do not necessarily help keep the discs cooler (getting good vented rotors does that better).

If you're just looking to improve the look... a lot of people prefer drilled rotors - they do look cool.

If you're looking to improve braking performance, you'd probably see more improvement by getting better brake pads - it's cheaper too. If you want even better performance you need to increase the surface area - get bigger brakes and/or stronger calipers.

Good luck.
Wayne
99 1.8TQMS
Old 01-24-2000, 07:31 PM
eBell

Default A Hot Topic.....

You'll find many for both sides. My own 1st hand?
Went with cross-drilled Brembos on my GTi as well as better pads. The pads alone will do a great job in improving stopping distance and fade. With the cross-drilled, again my 1st hand, it was even better. Vented rotors with cross-drilling, gases right through the vents. Improved stopping in the wet. No fade yet and have ran them hard.
There is a chance they'll crack. That isn't a wives tale. But I've ran mine with the same pads for three years and no problems. Also, under a good bit of HARD braking you get this wierd thrumming noise but it's not a bad thing. Just odd if you're not used to it.
I'd suggest cross-drilled but only from a good manufacturer. Brembo is one. Power stop another but I think they are the same.
Old 01-24-2000, 07:54 PM
kim

Default Re: Brakes... Me too !!

ALTHOUGH I CANT HELP YOU WITH YOUR PROBLEM MAYBE YOU COULD HELP ME WITH MINE. I'M IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A 97' 2.8 QUATTRO AND I'M CONCERNED ABOUT WHEN WILL i HAVE TO CHANGE MY BRAKES- THERE ARE CURENTLY 30,000 MILES ON THE CAR. The warrenty they offored me was $795 and only covers till 75,000 of 10/01- does that sound right?
Old 01-24-2000, 08:17 PM
Rob A.

Default Warranty Woes

First things, we can all read so CAPS don't help us in our literary pursuit. Second, for eight hundred bucks, take the warranty. It will most likely be used for everything other than brakes. These cars need tenderness and lots of cars so that we may run them with confidence. I have taken a proactive response to let my vehicle perform for me, and did not take the warranty. NOT, a good choice! You see come to find out, when the used dealer had it serviced last, we were neuvo-audi owners(didn't study this site much). Now, with no warranty and a horrible service done, I have to drain and flush all fluids again, just 2,000 miles since purchased and its going to co$t. I don't know if you can trust anyone, the tech that did the work didn't know that audi fluids were particular, so they used standard crap. Get the warranty, because after your AoA runs out that eight hundred dollar gift is $2600, and who can afford that!

Do not let any of this get you down. Go drive and appreciate the feel of such a fun car. It is almost as exciteable a car to drive as it is to look at. Happy Audi !
Old 01-24-2000, 08:28 PM
Kevin K

Cross-drilled cracking mostly a track-only issue.
Old 01-24-2000, 08:43 PM
eBell

Good point. To bad no 1st hand there for me...sigh.
Old 01-25-2000, 07:28 AM
Paul Clowser

Default I just installed ATE PowerDisc (slotted) and Mintex RedBox pads

Overall, the braking seems stronger, and more progressive than stock. I have only driven in the wet once since installing them, and had no braking delay. This doesn't mean the problem is solved for me because I didn't experience the problem every time it rained before.

I have never used drilled rotors before, so I can't comment on them, but slotted in the front helped so far.

Paul Clowser
98.5 1.8tqms
Old 01-25-2000, 07:30 AM
Carlos Ramirez

Default I asked BrakeCo about the different routers and this what they said

I was wondering about cross drilled, sloted, and those that are slotted and cross drilled.
Basically the cost for these are almost the same between sloted and cross drilled. The important different is as follows
1) Slotted will disperse about 100 degrees of heat and will also help keep wheel brake dust to a min by pushing in a circle (that means you get alot of brake does on the inside of the wheel)
2) Cross Drilled will disperse about 300 degrees of heat. They don't crack as people say and have a less chance of warping.

Heat is directly related to warping routers and breaking distance.
I got costs of about $100 per rotor. I personally think I will go with some cross drilled when I switch mine.

Quick Reply: Brakes... Slotted or Cross drilled ???