A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

To bring up the subject of ODBII port ECU programming again, Garrett mentions it on his web page. (link included)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-1999, 12:03 PM
Andrew C.

Default To bring up the subject of ODBII port ECU programming again, Garrett mentions it on his web page. (link included)

<ul><li><a href="http://www.dvol.com/~users/gal/giac.htm">Garrett Web Site</a></li></ul>
Old 01-13-1999, 03:57 PM
JohnS

Default It's possible....

I've seen it done before by an Audi rep, and I've messed around with my programming a little bit, but was afraid to do much. All you need is the right tools.<br>I'm sure if you were local to Garrett you could take your car in and have them program your car right there, but their site says 'ECU must be sent in' just like the rest.<p>JohnS<br>
Old 01-13-1999, 11:43 PM
Damon

Default It Works!, better than my AMS "chip" did...

I didn't want to bring this up 'till this weekend when I put the car on the dyno and had some objective numbers, but, what the hell. WOW! no, WOOOOW! no no here it is...Waaahooo!<p>My Avant is screamin', flame me if you want, go ahead torch me, I don't care, life is blissful now. Stuart Shikora may be a snake but, WOW, can he make a car work better. <p>I'll get back with a more objective post when I get something tangable for you all.<p>Damon<--------------very, very, VERY happy with his OBDII port programming.
Old 01-14-1999, 12:47 AM
Ned

Default I'm gonna end all of this now

<br>Yes you can reprogram through a serial port. Would all of you like to drive out here? or would it be easier if a chip gets sent to you? <p>Cmon guys, common sense, it is sooo much easier to do a chip, one program gets made, burned into a few chips and shipped out, instead of someone driving to a shop, the technician sitting there and reprogramming the ECU for the next two hours when he could've did it in 5 minutes.
Old 01-14-1999, 05:40 AM
stevebrown

Default No....I wholeheartedly disagree...

Easier:<p>Sell people the cable to link a laptop to the OBD II port. Sell people the software to reprogram their chip. Sell people the program that will enhance performance for their engine.<p>Later, when you get a better program (which now requires a new chip & possible down time or at least more complicated work to replace), you just sell the new software.<p>The ONLY reason for staying with a chip instead of port programming is to protect your intellectual property better.<p>However, even that isn't safe since a person could use software & a laptop with OBDII link to download an aftermarket chip's programming, then give/sell it to anyone else.<p>The OBDII port programming is the ideal way, also, because a dealer or emission place could conceivably "erase" or deactivate your power program & you wouldn't necessarily know it until too late....with a laptop you could restore it instantly...with a chip, you gotta pray the chip company believes you & doesn't charge you more to get another one.<p>steve
Old 01-14-1999, 10:37 AM
Damon

Default I'm with Steve big time +

yea, they're all A4s and you could argue that all 2.8 are the same and all 1.8s are the same but that's just not right. Every car is a little different, settings that work really well in one 2.8 might not work as well in another. <p>If you don't know/live near someone that does OBDII proggramming, sure chipping is EASIER. But OBDII programming is much more precise.<p>So sure maybe chipping gets the vote for short ter ease and convienience, although sending your ecu out and having down time doesn't sound fun too me.<p>OBDII programming is a better long tern solution and in my oppinion and from my first hand experience, WAY better (more precise, more power, more flexability).<p>All I can say is my custom OBD programming has made my car perform considerably better that the AMS chip I HAD.<p>Damon
Old 01-15-1999, 06:25 AM
randall

Default i am fed up with this.. answer me this and i can close thisissue . .

ok guys:<p>for those of u who have chipped your cars:<br>1/ did u replace the ECU, or a specific chip/ic? (integrated circuit epoxy job with pins on either side)<br>2/ if your response was chip for above, did the chip have any numbers on it? what were they?<br>3/ was there a window on the chip? ie a plastic sticker that u removed and u could see into the chip?<p>if i can get either the numbers on the chip, or determine if it had a window, this discussion is CLOSED. A windowed memory device cannot be reprogrammed electrically. it must be exposed to ultraviolet light.<p>if it is flash/EEPROM technology, the debate continues, it could go either way.<p>although i stilll suspect that what we are talking about is parameter reprogramming, versus firmware reprogramming. I do both as part of my job. A firmware reload can take some time.<p><br>1996 a4 2.8 qm<p>(with chip copying facilities . .takers?)<p>