A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Brought car in for maintenance, dealer switched my license plate holder...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-1999, 09:29 AM
Francis Y.

Default Brought car in for maintenance, dealer switched my license plate holder...

I can't believe it. I bring my A4 in for 10,000 mile maintenance at Steve Taub's in Santa Monica, CA, yesterday. I purchased my A4 at McKenna's in Norwalk, CA, and had their plate holder on my rear plate (front removed). Lo and behold, after my maintenance, I find my original dealer's plate holder replaced with theirs! I noticed at home and live too far away to go back... besides, what would they have to do, look in the trash?? : P

Lame city.
Francis Y.
'98.5 Cactus Green 1.8TQTipSX/APR
Old 09-05-1999, 09:37 AM
Mark

This has happened to others before - get them arrested for theft!
Old 09-05-1999, 09:45 AM
Jeff K.

Now you can replace with the A4.org plate holder!
Old 09-05-1999, 10:40 AM
Paul H. (in MD)

Default I would demand a replacement, even if they have to go to McKennas to get it..

It's the principle of the thing.

I wonder if they are in the habit of replacing other frames, such as A4.Org??

Paul
'98.5 A4 1.8TQTSS
Old 09-05-1999, 11:29 AM
Acop

They can't do that. It truly is theft.
Old 09-05-1999, 01:56 PM
McScrooge

Default Taub is my neighborhood dealer, but....

they have a "extra dealer markup" tag on every single car on their lot. When I see that, I conclude that they are going to try everything possible to take advantage of their customers. So I run away from them. My business goes elsewhere. I negotiate upward from invoice. Or maybe downward from the actual sticker. But not downward from an artificially inflated sticker + added dealer markup price.

Same sort of thing at Rusnak in Westlake, BT. They have $600 "teflon paint protection" adders on all the Audis. Give me a break. How big a moron do you think I am?

Remember the bit about "undercoating" in the movie "Fargo". Same damned thing.

You dealers reading this? We aren't that stupid.
Old 09-05-1999, 03:11 PM
dlugo

agreed, they stole the plate and are making you advertise thier shop. Nail 'em!
Old 09-05-1999, 05:31 PM
Vic O

I think it was "True Coat" in Fargo... yer dern tootin'!
Old 09-05-1999, 06:42 PM
Roy S.

Default As a former service manager......

this is wrong!! A dealer has not right to switch license plate frames on cars in for service. This is outrageous for a dealer to believe that a customer is willing to start advertising for another without permission. There are many reasons why a customer may not be at their dealer of choice. Personally I have no dealer tags/frames on my vehicles, but when I go in for service I have found dealers to put their frames on, in this case I make a big stink in the write-up area (when most are dropping off their cars) and get them removed.
Old 09-06-1999, 08:54 AM
Morgan Conrad

Default Similar experience

A dealer who serviced my car removed the old plate holder, and replaced with a generic one (not their own).

In their defense, the car was sitting in their shop for 3 weeks waiting for a part, and the old plate holder was a nearby competitor, so I couldn't blame them too much.