A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Buying an A4 2.8 vs. Leasing a S4

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 08:23 AM

Default Buying an A4 2.8 vs. Leasing a S4

Hello all,
This is the first time I've posted here... because I have an interesting dilemma and was wondering if others could help... I'm a 21 y.o. college student (Computer Science major) and I've been wanting to buy a used A4 for quite a while... and have $22000 saved up ready to buy in about 2 weeks... I would be buying a 98-99 A4 2.8 and own it outright... However, yesterday, when I test drove several A4's and S4's at Audi of Arlington/VA, I noticed I could also lease an S4 for 3 years with the exact same amount of money... but have to give it back after three years... So here's what I've figured so far...

Purchase used 98-99 A4 2.8:
-PROS:
-No car payments (Equity in car since I own it)
-Would still have warranty for another year or so
-Could modify it (Stereo, handling, etc.)
-More power than the 1.8T
-Some tax incentives
-CONS:
-Will be making more money in 3 years... so I would want a nicer car then.
-Some maintance costs?
-Doesn't have those great 16" AVUS wheels yet (Have to buy)
-Not an S4 (but then again, I'm only 21, and shouldn't be driving those kind of cars)

Leasing a 2001 S4 (Or maybe a 2001 BMW 330Ci)
-PROS:
-IT'S AN S4!!!!!!! Woohoo!
-No maintance, no nothing, except gas.
-Can't modify (though it already has those wonderful AVUS wheels)
-More power than the A4
-More fun at track days!
-After three years have option to buy car, or walk away.
-More tax incentives...?
-CONS:
-The car is a little overboard! (For a 21y.o. that is)
-Would have to guard with life and limb
-Not a coupe (that's why I'm considering the BMW)
-Insurance costs vs. a normal A4 have to be considered... (Parents will only pay so much, then I have to take over.)

So, you all have this to mull over... let me know what you think... Either way, I want to get the Santorin Blue if I can find it... if not, then Silver. Thanks for everyone's help,
Roger Mecking

P.S. For all of those who want me to get the 1.8T... what about the fact that there's no leather available????<ul><li><a href="http://www.mp3guy.net">My website... MP3Guy.net</a></li></ul>
Old 04-19-2001, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good move to buy used (at this stage in your life)....

$22k is a big chunk of change. Having nothing to show for it at the end of 3 years is a hard pill to swallow. A car is not an investment, but it would be nice to have some $ whenever you sell a car.
I couldn't imagine my fear if I had an S4 in college with the parking lots, disrespectful people, puking friends, etc.
You have to make your own decision, but to me $22k in my hand is worth more than the hope of making big money in the future. You will also need to pay for living expenses, all of your insurance, possibly a house, other hobbies...
Old 04-19-2001, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say buy the 2.8, or a 1.8T (more power than a 2.8 chipped)
Old 04-19-2001, 08:47 AM

Default Finding a used A4 sounds like a good decision.

You might also want to consider a used 1.8T as well if you're considering mods. Any A4 is going to be a great car, trying to keep the price down at this stage of your life is a wise move. Don't forget to have some money set aside for repairs after a car comes off of warranty.

All the best,
Guth
99.5 2.8QMS
Old 04-19-2001, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default A different view. . . .

So when you say you have 22K saved up, is that just to by a car or in general? Because if it's the later, do you really want to spend all of it on a whip?

I'm also assuming that you don't realy want payments, because you're still in school. But if don't mind payments (meaning you have income to pay the payments, not from your savings), I'd put 10K down a purchase and keep the rest.

Now for a little more on the lease or buy decision: I would vote you buy. I believe the people who are best served by leases are the people who churn cars. And you being in school, you're probably looking at 5+ years before you want to get out of it and get something else.

If you lease the car and then decide to buy it at the end of the term, you'll probably take seven years (3 lease, 4 purchase)to buy something you could have done in four to begin with.

Which Audi to get: Neither! Get a 1.8T for many reasons:

1. Less expensive
2. You're interested in mods, and it's better to mod
3. You're only 21, and you'll get raped for insurance for a 2.8 or a 2.7T (Assuming you're not under your parents)
4. You don't spend all your cash on a S4 now: Invest it while the market is down and in 5 years, get the new S4 (most likely a V or W8).

There you go, a different view.

Take care,
Old 04-19-2001, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lease the S4.

Put 5-10K down (Depending on your credit). Use the rest of our money on something else (S4 Mods.. Stage 3... mmmm..). With the right insurance agent, they can make your S4 look like a plain normal harmless family sedan. I mean think about it, while you're leasing the S4, you're also building up your credit. Once your lease is over, your credit will kick ***, and you can go get yourself an M5 or something. S4 is a great way to start off!
Old 04-19-2001, 09:50 AM

Default Important decision...

Wow. 22k, and in college? Damn.

I'm a software engineer (Electrical Engineer according to my college degree), and I just got out myself. Making some solid bank, but I didn't have so much saved up - just a few K, mostly in stocks.

I decided to buy a used A4 1.8T (1997) - bought it just 3 weeks ago this Saturday. Why? I _own_ it (or, the bank does, but only til I pay them back. ), I'm not paying rediculous nosebleed payments, and once it's paid off it's _MINE_.

_IF_ you have good credit, and _IF_ you have steady income (school appears to be paid for, if you got 22K lying around), I'd probably put about half down on a used Audi, and invest the rest. You've got an awfully nice nest egg started already, I wouldn't blow it all while still in college.

If you are already carrying student loans, I think you need to re-assess your priorities. Consumer debt is bad, m-kay?

Any way you slice it, let us know. I'm curious how this will pan out.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 04-19-2001, 09:56 AM
ajp
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Buying an A4 2.8 vs. Leasing a S4

I was in a similar situation ('m 23) and I'd suggest buying the car outright or at the very least financing the s4 not leasing. I think you need to get set up first before blowing your $$$ and then having nothing to show for it in 3yrs.
I agree that the S4 rocks, but I really think it's difficult to anticiapte all the bills you'll have after school is over...as well as what you income will actually be. I bought a new 1.8tqm and modded w./ a chip an suspension. My car handles hands down better than a stock s4 (lighter and w/more agressive springs/shocks) and is plenty quick with the chip - ~200hp, 245 torque. If I'd had maybe an extra 5 grand to throw around I would have taken a small loan out to get the s4, but it was going for too much over invoice at the time (I have a 99.5 1.8) and I didn't want to overextend myself. Now I've had the a4 for 2 years and I am very happy with my decision. In a couple of years if I can make some more bank I think i'll probably end up getting a slightly used S4.
Alex

98-99 A4 2.8:

<< -More power than the 1.8T->>
-chip the 1.8t and most prefer the 1.8 for sportier driving
<< -Doesn't have those great 16" AVUS wheels yet (Have to buy) >>
- AVUS wheels are 17''s
<< -Not an S4 (but then again, I'm only 21, and shouldn't be driving those
kind of cars>>
-Says who?

Leasing a 2001 S4
<< -Can't modify >>
-plenty of people mod their leased cars-example-chip the s4 w/ a spare ecu-500 bucks for 300+ HP!!!
<< -More power than the A4 >>
True
<< -More fun at track days! >>
some might argue that driving skills play a more impt part in this...the 1.8t would be more fun at track days than the 2.8

-More tax incentives...?
-CONS:
-The car is a little overboard! (For a 21y.o. that is)
-Would have to guard with life and limb
-Not a coupe (that's why I'm considering the BMW)
-Insurance costs vs. a normal A4 have to be considered... (Parents will
only pay so much, then I have to take over.)
Old 06-15-2001, 01:36 PM

Default NEWSBREAK: Ended up buying a 99.5 1.8T!!!!

hey everyone,
Thanks for all your responses on the issue... I ended up buying a gorgeous (as if any Audi isnt!) 1999.5 A4 1.8T Silver w/ Onyx 5-speed for $19,950 in Rockville, Maryland on May 31st.... It was at a Ford dealership (Trade-in on a Ford Expedition, ugh!) and still under warranty... Ive already attented my first Quattro Club event, the 4th Annual Rally In The Valley in Cockeysville, MD... A great time... Put it this way, my co-driver/girlfriend is a fanatic now too Look for me contributing more here in the future... and thanks for the warm welcome!!!

Roger Mecking
99.5 1.8T Silver<ul><li><a href="http://www.mp3guy.net/audi/">Pictures of the car and I are here!!</a></li></ul>