A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Buying a chipped ECU from someone

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a chipped ECU from someone

Hi,

My details:
2001 A4 1.8t 5spd FWD

Well, I am fairly new to the Audi scene. I did not really have plans to mod my car, I joined mainly for the how-to's and help with maintenance and repairs; overall care for my car. However, I came upon an opportunity to purchase a GIAC tuned ECU for my car for a pretty good deal; under $150. The guy said it is for a AWM motor for his old 2001 Audi A4 1.8t.

The owner says it was in his car but the car is sold and wants to get rid of the ECU. From what I've been reading the ECU's aren't all compatible with all cars. I have been reading around but I am not fairly confident in making a decision with the purchase. I guess I am looking to what I should consider with purchasing his ECU? I know that I should verify if his part number fits my car, but I am unsure how that's done. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

As for putting it in my car is it a direct plug and play or do I need to make the car learn something (I read something about that but was unclear of this tidbit)?

I have done some research but I feel I need a more direct and timely approach as time is of the essence; someone else locally might pick up the part. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have an immobilizer that is tied into the ECU. So you need to know somebody with VAG-Com and possibly a device to pull pin codes.

The ECU numbers should be checked. VW/Audi loves to have tons of different parts for different applications in the same car.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
You have an immobilizer that is tied into the ECU.
Most 2001 don't have immobilizer, very few made it into the US that way.

Check to see if you have the key symbol lighting up in your cluster, if it doesn't you don't have an immobilizer.

If you don't have immobilzer its an easy swap. You need to do a throttle body adaptation after you install the replacement ECU. Plan on upgrading the diverter valve also as the extra boost will probably overwhelm the old stock valve.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Most 2001 don't have immobilizer, very few made it into the US that way.

Check to see if you have the key symbol lighting up in your cluster, if it doesn't you don't have an immobilizer.

If you don't have immobilzer its an easy swap. You need to do a throttle body adaptation after you install the replacement ECU. Plan on upgrading the diverter valve also as the extra boost will probably overwhelm the old stock valve.
Hey, thanks for the input. I completely forgot about the immobilizer issue. But I don't have it.

Anyways, I apologize for taking a long time to update. The guy keeps telling me "by the weekend I'll get the part from the shop." Apparently he's keeping it in a shop somewhere. So I'm just waiting on him to get it now so we can do a deal.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you get the part and did it work? It'd be nice to close out threads with the final set of information. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by M3Armand
Did you get the part and did it work? It'd be nice to close out threads with the final set of information. Thanks!
Hi,

As for updates, the guy kept screwing me around. He kept saying next week and the next week. I said nvm and didn't end up buying it. Bummer.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default GIAC chipped ECU Question

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Sorry for jumping an old thread but I have an chance to buy a GIAC chipped ecu for my 2000 A4 1.8l Tiptronic.

Is this a plug and play? Do I need to worry about the items above?

The chipped ecu was in a similar vehicle. 2000 A4 1.8l automatic.

Last edited by Huskerbob; 01-12-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-12-2013, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

No way to know for sure without the ecu number, but very likely (considering the same year/model).