A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

buying a y2k a4 1.8q in chicago area...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-1999, 05:58 PM
darian

Default buying a y2k a4 1.8q in chicago area...

i,ve been dealing with laurel in the western suburbs. any experience w/them? they seem pretty cool to me, when the salesguy saw i had done my homework, he treated me and my questions with a lot more respect. what would be a good price to pay? it seems to me 3 - 5 % over invoice is a fair deal, from info agthered on this website. does anybody think i can do any better in the chicago area? any other advice / comments would be appreciated, thanks in advance, Darian.

oh, one more question - any comments on experience installing cd changers? the bose at 1200 bucks is re-diculous.
Old 08-16-1999, 06:37 PM
Cameron

Default You haven't done (enough of) your homework...

The CD changer isn't the BOSE unit, and the CD changer only costs around $500 from the dealer (less from Clair Motors in Boston). BOSE is a complete stereo option. But, as you asserted, it is hilariously priced and I have no idea why anyone buys the option.

It's worth working for a good price, but it isn't worth haggling over $500. When the day ends, $500 is the price of a chip or (in the early A4 days) the price of the cool floormats. Just take a reasonable deal and get on the list, you'll be kicking yourself in a few months if you saved $200 but got 3 weeks of waiting.

Just make sure you get the sport steering wheel!

Cameron
Old 08-16-1999, 06:53 PM
Rob

Default Re: buying a y2k a4 1.8q in chicago area...

I live in the North West burbs and purchased my A4 2.8 about 4 weeks ago from McGrath... If I had to do it again, I would probably go to Schaumburg (more 2.8 A4's in stock at the time, better sales "experience"). However, I can't say enough good things about McGrath's service department.

If you check out Schaumburg, ask for Dan.

--Rob
Old 08-16-1999, 06:54 PM
darian

Default Re: You haven't done (enough of) your homework...

i promise to say what i mean and mean what i say next time. btw, sports package, moonroof, weather package, and trip computer.thanks, D.
Old 08-16-1999, 07:23 PM
Mark K

Default Beware of Schaumberg Audi, ask Cameron!

nt
Old 08-16-1999, 09:07 PM
Cameron

Default Shaumburg: Never again!!!!!!!!!

Email me if you want info on Schaumburg, NEVER go near this dealership.

I still shudder when I drive by on Golf.

Cameron
Old 08-16-1999, 09:52 PM
markbradford

Default Darian, I bought a 99.5 1.8TQMS from Laurel in April.....

I don't get my car serviced there as I spent most of the year at scool in Canada but, as for sales, they were completely accomodating (even with my tricky CarsDirect invoice price purchase). Talk to Art Rodriguez, he's a good guy.

And you're right, the Bose option is garbage - go down the street with your $1200 to ..... I forget the name, but it's a car audio shop across the street about 1 or 2 miles down (heading away from Route 83)..... but anyway, you should be able to get the MB Quart referenz 5 1/4" component set there for $300 tax in + install. That'll be a good start - then add a sub and a couple amps and voila! decent sound.

Good luck,
mark
Old 08-17-1999, 05:38 AM
Hugh

They were fine for me and I got an good deal.
Old 08-17-1999, 05:50 AM
E-Rock

Default Re: I totally agree with Cameron...

Schaumburg Audi is by far the closest dealership to me. But I chose to deal with Laurel in Westmont. Sure, it's a lot farther to drive for service, but I feel it's worth it. My family has not been pleased at all with Schaumburg Audi's sales or service.
Old 08-17-1999, 06:40 AM
John Rittenaur

Default Re: try Continental Audi in Aurora

My salesman there was John Sargent, really nice guy. I thought the guys at Laurel were a bunch of jerks, especially Jack Jacek.

Quick Reply: buying a y2k a4 1.8q in chicago area...