A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Buzzing/hum from cluster, won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing/hum from cluster, won't start.

I've done a little searching but I haven't been able to pinpoint what it could be.. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyways.. this problem started last week, I turn my key to start my car and it doesn't start.. It doesn't even try. All I get is a buzzing/hum type sound from behind my cluster. My radio and HVAC work, but I get nothing else. I can get it to start after about ten tries, however.

My car is a 1999.5, does it have an immobilizer? My battery was bought less than a year ago and it starts strong when it works. Could this be just a relay? Ignition switch or barrel? Starter going bad? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a relay going bad. Check for fuel pump operation. Could also be ignition switch failing.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well when it doesn't start I don't hear the fuel pump turn on, should I start with the fuel pump relay?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HzDrgr
Well when it doesn't start I don't hear the fuel pump turn on, should I start with the fuel pump relay?
Be a good start. Find the relay and see if it is the one buzzing.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Ignition switch; I'd bet on it. Mine made the relay buzz too. You can buff up the contacts in a pinch, that's what I did with mine several years ago with no further problems. The starter contacts are the biggest ones in the switch, #1000 al/oxide paper and some alcohol to clean. You may want to pull the fuel relay anyway to service its contacts, because the buzzing will cause arcing that damages the surfaces.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well guys, now I feel dumb. Instead of taking my column apart and cleaning my ignition switch, I tried the easiest thing first and cleaned up my battery connections and the starter positive connection on the battery and now it starts perfect every time! I don't know why I didn't think of this first, because I've had other vehicles that did this to me and that was the solution. I guess it was the thought of a brand new battery that made me look past it
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Good thing I didn't actually bet then. Thanks for updating.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I guess it was a coincidence that my car wanted to start when I cleaned the battery clamps. My car is doing the same exact thing today.. but to the point where I had to push start it in second gear to get it to work. I will try your suggestion about cleaning the ignition switch. Any other suggestions? It could be my relay too right? How would I test that?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I will try your suggestion about cleaning the ignition switch. Any other suggestions?
No cleaning. Replacing.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Alright, update.. buffed up contacts on ignition switch, still a no go. Under further investigation, on the 13-way relay carrier.. relay #13 is the one buzzing, it has number 204 on it. The is another 204 relay in there too in a different spot, so I tried that one and still got the buzzing. So I'm going to guess my relay is fine..

Quick Reply: Buzzing/hum from cluster, won't start.