A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Callin all Old-School Computer Smart People

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Callin all Old-School Computer Smart People

Hey Guys,

Yet another question from your old buddy here. I'm in college right now, and currently I bought a cheapy 486 to just take notes on with windows 95 and Microsoft word. I don't need a good one till my engineering class next semester so I'm waiting it out, and saving money. So my question is this, at my college there is wireless internet/network and they use 802.11b network cards. Now this 486 does have a PCMCIA slot, but my question is would it work? Our college says they require Windows 2000 or XP at least, would I be able to connect under Windows 95? Also there is another way with an actual phone jack, and you plug in, not sure what the name of the chord is forgot just know its a 10/100 LAN chord, is that an option? I don't know if Windows 95 had the ability to connect to networks, I have NT 4.0 on floppy disks that I can load, if all NT's maybe were able to connect to a network. One final question, for my home network I use a USB network card to hook up to the cable modem. Now the laptop only has serial connections but I've found on ebay serial to usb connectors but they require at LEAST windows 98. Can Windows 95 not support USB? ALright thats a mouthful, thanks everyone!

--Asif
Old 09-11-2003, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You could have bought a brand new base dell for about $300 if you get some coupon codes.

Wireless network wont work with 95. Thats all I know. I'd honestly ask around and buy a friends old comp for like $50. You should be able to find one who is dumping a 700-900mhz computer. Which could run 2000 or XP.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default some answers..

<i>So my question is this, at my college there is wireless internet/network and they use 802.11b network cards. Now this 486 does have a PCMCIA slot, but my question is would it work? Our college says they require Windows 2000 or XP at least, would I be able to connect under Windows 95?</i>
As long as your wireless network card comes with Win95 drivers (highly doubt it)

<i>One final question, for my home network I use a USB network card to hook up to the cable modem. Now the laptop only has serial connections but I've found on ebay serial to usb connectors but they require at LEAST windows 98. Can Windows 95 not support USB? ALright thats a mouthful, thanks everyone!</i>
Regular Win95 does not support USB. But a later version of Win95 called OSR2 does support it.

In all honesty you really should upgrade your computer. It sounds like my PDA is faster than your computer here.

Dell is doing a really good deal on a computer/lcd package. Check this site out.

Also let me know if you have any other questions.<ul><li><a href="http://www.gotapex.com">http://www.gotapex.com</a</li></ul>
Old 09-12-2003, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 486s were obsolete 4 years ago

I think it's time for a new(er) model. Are there any used PC stores in your area? Surely someone on campus is getting rid of an older computer. Don't get anything less than Win2k - it networks much better than Win98.