A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

cam tensioner code 16396 over retarded?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam tensioner code 16396 over retarded?

2001 A4 1.8t,I get this intermitent code and I am lost!!
16396 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)
P0012 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

I replaced the cam tensioner with a OEM Audi tensioner last summer on a friends car do to rattle in the cam chain and a CEL. I have no idea what other issues the car had and I know it had the tensioner code before I changed it but I didn't think much of it since the car rattled.
the car runs great, no missing no issues at all, but about every 500-700 miles after the new tensioner I am getting this code and the CEL. we replaced the cam sensor as well with no change.

what else can cause this, I have checked the timing and pretty sure it's dead on so I really don't think the chain could be stretched, and the car runs very strong. I am thinking a possible oil pressure issue since the tensioner is oil pressure regulated and the car did have some sludge.

any suggestions on where to go from here, I hate to pull the oil pan but I am really afraid this is a oil problem even though the oil light does not come on. any comments here or ideas, also any other electrical tests I can do? this car is a hr away from me so I don't get it very often, so I would like to be able to fix this issue next visit!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Did you check both belt and chain timing? Did you count the links on the chain or look at the marks? Counting links is a better bet.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yep, I pulled the cams about 4x, counted the links, and checked the marks, also checked the T-belt and it lines up perfect with the marks.
initially late last summer the car was rattling pretty bad, she ran some seafoam in it and did a oil change with no change, when you started the car it rattled pretty bad but once warm it would quite down but it was still their. this car was a off lease car and I am pretty sure it did not get much for maintenance and I know at least 2 oil changes since she has had it it did not get synthetic oil.
I replaced the tensioner did a oil change. the car ran great but in 500-700 miles the Cel came back. for intermittent over retard.
I got the car back and tested the tensioner for proper OHMs, and checked the grounds and other electrical connections I could find. and checked the timing again.
but again after 500miles the cel came back.

last time I saw the car I noticed it has a very slight engine knock, likely lower end which is why I am thining a possible oil issue.
I recommended she sell the car, since it also needs some other work,
Well here it is coming to spring and she does not want to sell the car

I really don't have the time now to pull the oil pan, but I am afraid that is what it needs, but I can't say for sure! and I would hate to keep her car for a few weeks and end up with the same CEL.....

so I am stuck with maybe still a defective tensioner, a bad wire harness, bad computer or connection someplace , or oil pressure etc...
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the best thing to do for her is to go ahead and pull the oil Pan and confirm the oil pickup is clean or dirty since this can cause major issues. or do you think adding a oil pressure gauge would tell anything? after searching online it looks like the 2 most common causes of this code is 1 a bad tensioner, and 2 sludge, then 3 ecu.
I do have another ECU I could put in it but I don't think this would be it, the car only has about 70k on it now and it's a 01 so it really should have the T-belt changed as well. I just don't want to recommend her putting $1000 in the car and having the same issue next month
any thoughts?