A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Can the auto tranny be beefed-up on the A4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1998, 07:57 PM
James

Default Can the auto tranny be beefed-up on the A4?

Hey Everyone,<p>There was a discussion earlier regarding the power handling limits of the automatic transmission in the A4, I have a question.<p>Remembering from the March '98 issue of Turbo magazine, A transmission company in New Jersey called Level 10 Performance strengthened a Toyota Supra TT auto tranny by upgrading the clutch material to a higher coefficient of friction, and increased line pressure for the fluid for faster and more positive shifts. <p>The reason for performing these modifications to the auto tranny was because the stock tranny couldn't handle the power enhancements some Supra TT owners were putting on, causing slippage. Slippage causes heat, premature wear, and abrupt engagement of gear. This abrupt engagement happens when the slipping clutch plates finally grab onto the next gear, and sends a shock through the tranny. If you're lucky, more heat and wear. If you're not so lucky, damaged planetaries.<p>My question is, can the auto tranny in the A4 (5hp19) be upgraded in a similar fashion? Sounds like a good idea for those K-04 kits out there.<p>Anyone in the Tri-State area want to bring their automatic A4 to Level 10 and have them rip your tranny apart for an examination? *grin* (If I still lived on Long Island, I would have been there already)<p>I'd really like to have more than 200hp for my A4 with Tiptronic, but not if it means rebuild or replace the tranny every 6 months.<p>Any help would be appreciated.<p>James Wu<br>A4 Club of Vancouver<br>1998 Black/Onyx 1.8tqa (as in automatic)<ul><li><a href="http://avant.extreme.com/va4">A4 Clubof Vancouver</a></li></ul>
Old 10-21-1998, 08:18 PM
rickp

Remember the Tip-only A8 has a 300 hp V8, so there's gotta be something you can do........NT
Old 10-21-1998, 09:33 PM
James

Re: But the A8 is running a different transmission.
Old 10-21-1998, 11:58 PM
ned

Default Re: Can the auto tranny be beefed-up on the A4?

<br>As far as i know, when the problem is the converter causing slippage, it can be corrected by people like the wonderful guys at Level 10, however with the A4, the problem isnt the converter, i think its the planetary gears themselves, and im not sure how much Level 10 can do about that.
Old 10-22-1998, 06:20 AM
stevebrown

Default With the right $$$ you can do anything...(more)

I am familiar with Level 10 from my Ford days, but since the 5hp19 is such a new tranny, I doubt anyone's familiar with it in the aftermarket, yet.<p>I had done some preliminary investigation into the 5hp18 which is in the BMW M3. It obviously handles more hp and torque, but it has some similarities with the 5hp19...gear ratios, in particular. It could be that they share some parts...but since the M3 is RWD and the A4 is FWD and Quattro, there could be major differences.<p>If you have the inclination, call around & see what BMW tuners do with the 5hp18...it is likely that someone has worked one over...might help out the 5hp19 cause...<p>good luck<br>steve
Old 10-22-1998, 07:46 AM
Mr.A4

Are you sure? Dealers told me A4,A6 &amp; A8 are using same tip.
Old 10-22-1998, 11:13 AM
stevebrown

Dude...you MUST chill. The A4 uses a different tranny. Achtung!
Old 10-22-1998, 07:17 PM
James

Thanks. Buying Lottery ticket tomorrow. (I think it's up to 10 Mil Cnd now.)
Old 10-22-1998, 07:24 PM
James

Default Any tuners out there with a broken auto tranny?

Hey Ned, <p>Did TAP find damage in the planatery gears on a automatic A4?<p>Any tuners on this board? Most of you have a suggested limit for which stage to upgrade the engine to if we have an auto tranny. How many have ran actual research vehicles to find out? If so, did anyone open up the tranny to see what was damaged? If so, do you see a way (or hope) to strengthen that part of the transmission?<p>Thanks for your help.<p><br>James Wu<br>A4 Club of Vancouver<br>1998 Black/Onyx 1.8tqa<ul><li><a href="http://avant.extreme.com/va4">A4 Club of Vancouver</a></li></ul>