A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Can/Should you use the factory amp for an aftermarket deck and not have hissing>?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can/Should you use the factory amp for an aftermarket deck and not have hissing>?

My rear speaks make a hissing sound at low sound levels. An article on AW mentioned this may be because you cannot connect the leads from the rear amp w/o causing damage or have the "hissing" sound.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The factory non-bose amp are on the rear speaker is fed by high level outputs

Meaning they are speaker level. After market HU's have low level/line level/pre-amp outputs (RCA outputs) as well as a speaker level output IF the HU has an internal amp.

Now the rear speakers in non-bose are NOT powered by the HU but the amp on the rear speakers. If you are using the high level (speaker level) outputs on the HU to power the rear speakers, then your pushing a powered signal into the rear speakers which is also being amped. Bad idea. probably your problem.

You may be able to use the rear RCA pre-amp outputs on your HU to power the rear speakers however. But I'm not sure.

If you have a bose system, you CANNOT re-use the bose amp (powers ALL speakers) with a new HU w/o buying a certain kind of adaptor that lets you retain use of it. It runs ~$99 IIRC.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That is my problem. I don't know what they did, as it was done professionally. All I know..(long)

BTW...I am non bose (concert, 98.5)

Is that the installer told me that he used the rear speaker amp. I am assuming that he is currently feedin the stock amp with speaker level output from the HU. This guy came highly recommended with years experience. Wouldn't he understand that you cannot give a speaker level signal to an amp?

The system sounded good when I was there, but I never listened to it at low volume. Once I heard it at low volume I noticed that there was a distinct "hissing" that is annoying.

Is it better that I elimintate the factory amp and connect the speakers directly to the speaker level out from the deck, or add a small external amp (Alpine) to power the rear speakers? My HU is an Alpine IVA-C800 with 45w/c.
Old 05-19-2002, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Go back and ASK what he did.

Just to know so you can stop guessing.

I'm not sure of the ohm load of non-bose rear speakers, but if they are 4ohm, then by all means, run new speaker wires from your HU directly to the rear spekers and bypass the amp (if this is possible. i honestly don't know).

Adding ANY decent external 4 channel amp will be LOADS better than HU power (even aftermarket HU power still sucks).

But your still using stock speakers, which suck to being with. If you have the cash, I'd move to the aftermarket amp right now, and then replace front speakers, and eventually the rear.