A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Cant decide on which exhaust system. Milltek with no dp or new Borla with dp? Which will provide the

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant decide on which exhaust system. Milltek with no dp or new Borla with dp? Which will provide the

best performace?
Old 03-10-2003, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default the downpipe is the most important component.

Make sure the DP is the best you can get, regardless of the system you choose.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:13 AM

Default Get the Borla w/ DP

Totally worth it. You'll be kicking yourself later on if you don't get it.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:33 AM

Default I wrote Stratmosphere and here's what they're saided about the dp.

the downpipe actually is not a large part of the performance.You will receive 90% of the benefits of the system without it.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:28 AM

Old 03-10-2003, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I like and respect Pete and Bob...

but i dont think thats true. With a turbo motor, exhaust flow is critical. The primary goal is evacuating exhaust gas as fast as possible. The closer to the turbo, the more important the impact of flow. conversely, the farther from the turbo (rear muffler for example) the less significant the impact. I believe the downpipe to be the most important piece of the system. Exhaust gasses are their hottest and fastest moving just after the turbo. As they move downstream, the gasses cool and condense, and flow becomes less critical. A large downpipe with a relocated cat (or test pipe) will be a huge benefit.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:59 AM

Default Free Flow exhaust is restricted by a stock DP

One of the things that you'll run into, is if you upgrade the turbo, put a front mount on or even the BPV to keep your boost, the back pressure you're going to get from the exhaust isn't going to be as good if you keep the stock DP.

One of the problems I have with the idea that the DP isn't a crucial part of the exhaust system.... lets say for example:

You link straws together. One small straw at the end you blow, connected to bigger straws via tape. Now, can you blow more or less air through the small end of the straw? Plus, is all the air coming out the big end of the straws that you want to?

Regardless, you probably understand the illistration.

The HP gains are probably only 5-10 if that based off a full free flow exhaust.

Besides, the Borla exhaust is only $529.00 for the full exhaust. That's pretty cheap for a great system.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default We may be on the same team here...

Free flow exhaust IS restricted by a stock DP. And i agree with the borla choice- you cant beat it, especially for the money. And if the milltek means no downpipe, thats even more reason to get the borla- i believe downpipes to be important.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:34 AM

Default Completely agree.

I think getting the top of the line exhaust (full-cat back incld d/p) will allow him to feel some difference and also later down the line, he'll probably have to get a DP anyways, if he goes against getting a DP.

Price for the Borla is perfect and that's what I'm going to get on my next A4.

Glad we agree. :-)
Old 03-10-2003, 03:04 PM

Default Are you Quattro or FWD? The Quattro Milltek has a DP while the FWD does not...

that said, I have a Milltek exhaust and SPP (pictureboy) downpipe on my FrontTrak and I really enjoy it thus far.

Quick Reply: Cant decide on which exhaust system. Milltek with no dp or new Borla with dp? Which will provide the