A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

can't seem to reprogram keys

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't seem to reprogram keys

unplugged my central locking pump module to get the part number because it wasn't working. when i plugged it back in however it worked again. however the remotes were not functioning.

so i tried this tech article:
---------------------------------
1. Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.
2. Close and lock the drivers door with the second key.
3. On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only. The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked
4. With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.
5. Pull the key from the slot and test remote functions.
6. Open drivers door, remove key from ignition.

If both of your remotes don't work, do the above for the first key, but on step #3, press the 'UNLOCK' button twice. The lights will flash twice, then continue on with step #4.
---------------------------------

but it's not working. when they say first "click" does that mean to accessory power? or the click before that? cause i tried both. and i cannot seem to get the phase where it says the lights will flash to happen. i've tried pressing 1 and 2 times(since both keys don't work and there's a note about that in the tech article).

am i supposed to lock the door and hold it locked(like when the windows go up) and press the unlock button at the same time perhaps?

what else could i be doing wrong? i even popped by a local vw dealership to ask a tech for help, but he said he's not supposed to touch anything audi at work.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default remove ur central locking pump and open it and see if the graphite wheel is smashed.

mine wasn't and my locks weren't working and couldn't reprogram keys and then i took it apart again and it was smashed. u have to plug it back in in the meantime while finding a replacement for ur car to run.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Originally, I had no problems with that procedure but after replacing my CLP, I had to follow

some of these steps. Read them a few times to get an understanding. Taken from a quick search.
Oh yeah, I did reprogram my CLP via VAG but that isn't nesasary. YOu're sure your CLP is totally functional right? And the first click IS the accessory position.
VVVV HERE ARE SOME MORE DIRECTIONS VVVVV

Use the below to clear ALL previous key's and then program in the new one & existing one.
-----------------------------------------------

Looks like you don't even need a VAG tool. Just skip over the part that talks about checking the memory positions.

===

Remote transmitter, coding

Two remote transmitters are supplied with the vehicle. If further transmitters are required, they must be coded
to interact properly with the central locking control module.

Remote transmitter coding procedure

- Switch ignition on (using separate key).

- Check how many transmitters have already been coded in measuring value block 003 Read Measuring Value Block page 01-86 .

Display field 2 indicates how many remote transmitters have been coded and in which memory positions
(in the example given, 1 transmitter in position 1).

- Lock vehicle from outside using key to be coded via driver-side door lock.

- Press "unlock" button within 5 seconds often enough to reach next memory position (in example given, twice).

- Every press of the button is confirmed by the emergency flashers and the anti-theft system horn.

- Wait 5 seconds.

- Now press "unlock" button one more time (vehicle unlocks).

- Switch ignition off and remove ignition key.

- Check function of new transmitter.

- Check display field 2 in measuring value block 003. It should now display another "1" (in example given: 1100).

Notes:

Be sure that new transmitters are always coded into free memory positions. If occupied positions (distinguishable by a "1")
are used, the transmitter previously coded to this position will no longer work.

Existing remote transmitter recoding procedure

- Press any button on transmitter.

If vehicle does not respond by locking or unlocking:

- Lock and unlock vehicle within 30 seconds using driver-side lock.

- Now check function of recoded remote transmitter.

Clearing memory positions

Notes:

It is possible to clear all memory positions, e.g. if a customer loses a remote transmitter. Proceed as follows:

- Switch ignition on using key.

- Then mechanically lock central locking from outside vehicle using key.

- Activate remote transmitter "unlock" button on key five times at one second intervals. A short horn signal will sound each time.

- Then, after 6 seconds, press remote transmitter "unlock" button to confirm this clearing procedure one more time.

- Central locking should no longer unlock itself via remote transmitter.

- Switch ignition off.

Up to four transmitters can now be coded again.