A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

car cranks and dont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car cranks and dont start

whats wrong now??????
after i put my ignition coil and all, test drove it,(heres a link to catch up on all the details and all)

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2770916

it misfired a few times, i parked it it drove and started it once after that to reparked it for snow removal that was bout 20 min later, it started fine no problems, it sat for thursday and friday daytime, friday evening i went to clear all the codes on it, first problem is that the same computer wont read any codes and my cel wont even come on while key is turned usally it is(car is not running) then i tried starting it, it cranks but no spark whatsover how come? that last thing i did to it was cut the black wire that with the lil black box beside the ignition coil connector,and connect it to the bolt that its supposed to go to, on the box the piece of metal that extends to connect to bolt basiclly i deleted it and wait strait to bolt, i couldnt connect it because the extended part snapped off, and i did not start my car after that, just left it there till today, now it just cranks and cranks i sounds like i have no spark or something and my cel wont come on and wont read anything, why??
does any of u have any idea why it wont start?
and what exactly is that lil black box for beside the ignition coil connector? and do they sell separately?
i figured maybe it was low oil and wouldnt start, i put some more in to level (i was low of it) i disconnected the battery for 2 hours to clear any codes and let it reset, still same thing
now i went and tried hooking that black box up first 3 secs it sounded like it gave a spark but didnt start it, im oo out of ideas, please help me
Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Did you change the coolant temp sensor?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Did you change the coolant temp sensor?
not yet, was planning to buy one 2morrow from the dealer,
but it started and drove on the sensor before, but ill deff try getting one 2morrow
any other ideas?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Guru

I'm confused. Why did you replace the coil pack? Why are you asking for more advice when you ignored the advice you were given last time.

I won't even comment on the cutting of factory wiring...
Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm confused. Why did you replace the coil pack? Why are you asking for more advice when you ignored the advice you were given last time.

I won't even comment on the cutting of factory wiring...

i replaced the coil plack it was shipped to me, i ordered it bout 2 weeks ago, sorry,
i did not have a ride or chance to go to drive for bout hour to buy coolant sensor, but hopefully i can 2morrow
Old 12-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Guru

No need to apologize to me. It just seems to me that you are wasting money and doing this the hardest way possible.

Now you have removed the original coilpack and repalced it with one of unknown quality. I'd go back to the original and start again.

FWIW, I've never seen one of those coils fail. I have two cars in the garage right now with those coils. One has 175k and the other has 270k on the original coils. Both have been through at least one coolant temp sensor each, a common and well documented issue with these cars. Bad coolant temp sensors can cause rich or lean conditions without the ECU knowing there is a problem and throwing a code. Lean will get you poor starting and misfires.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

No need to apologize to me. It just seems to me that you are wasting money and doing this the hardest way possible.

Now you have removed the original coilpack and repalced it with one of unknown quality. I'd go back to the original and start again.

FWIW, I've never seen one of those coils fail. I have two cars in the garage right now with those coils. One has 175k and the other has 270k on the original coils. Both have been through at least one coolant temp sensor each, a common and well documented issue with these cars. Bad coolant temp sensors can cause rich or lean conditions without the ECU knowing there is a problem and throwing a code. Lean will get you poor starting and misfires.

ok ill do that 2morrow, when i changes it should that start the car? or what?
and is there certain fuses i should check for why it will not start? or after the coolant temp sensor it should start. what do i do from there?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Guru

Install original coils and new temp sensor. Try to start car. If it does not start, verify correct firing order and try again. Hold your foot to the floor and keep cranking until it starts. If now start after a solid 30 seconds of cranking, pull codes.

There is gas in this car, right? ;-)
Old 12-18-2009, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Install original coils and new temp sensor. Try to start car. If it does not start, verify correct firing order and try again. Hold your foot to the floor and keep cranking until it starts. If now start after a solid 30 seconds of cranking, pull codes.

There is gas in this car, right? ;-)
ok will do, but the computer i used to pull codes all it says now is error when pluggged in, i tried it on a diff car and it worked properly, im gana try to get a borrow a diff computer and see if that works, if it doesnt idk what next lol car has 183k and the problems just start coming in,
haha yes there is deff gas in the tank lil under 1/2, 93 grade, lol
Old 12-18-2009, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html
btw is this the collant temp sensor that needs to be changed?

Quick Reply: car cranks and dont start