A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Caring 4 my black Audi

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-1999, 08:22 AM
?Future Buyer?

Default Caring 4 my black Audi

I am thinking about buying a Brilliant Black A4.<br>I take excellent care of my vehicles, hand washing and the like and I want to know how the <br>paint jobs on Audi vehicles are holding out.<br>Are the "showroom shines" still there . . .any <br>problems with fading or scratches. especially on <br>other brilliant black audi's
Old 05-12-1999, 08:37 AM
Conker

Default Friend has black 99 A4.

His car is only 8months old. Scratches are definitely more noticeable, but he takes great care and the shine is still good. I believe that it is nearly impossible to maintain the "showroom" shine indefinitely, but his car is still very sharp... no swirls or other marks.<br>good luck<br>Conker 98 1.8TS-tip TAP .8
Old 05-12-1999, 09:56 AM
BDW

Default Re: Caring 4 my black Audi

<br>Any black (or dark green for that matter) car from any maker is going to be a real effort. They show scratches, swirls and nicks worse than any other color. Black cars are cool, but if you are a perfectionist and little stuff drives you crazy, better think about it long and hard. I had a dark green car and it was a nightmare.<p>BDW '99 1.8Tqms (laser red)
Old 05-12-1999, 10:04 AM
DSmith

Default Caring for my blacj Audi is an pain in the a**.

I love black cars but am definately regretting getting my Avant in brilliant black. It shows everything and the Audi paint is very soft and scratches very easily. I have tried everything, including paint cleaners, waxes, etc. and the results only last for a few weeks. I have decided that I will try to care less about how my car looks, but it is a shame that I have to feel this way. Now I admit I am fanatical and, if you are not, you may be able to live with it. One thing is for sure, my next car will not be black.
Old 05-12-1999, 10:21 AM
Reeder

Default Agreed. I bought bril. black cuz it was on the lot, next time I'll wait/order silver

Old 05-12-1999, 10:37 AM
DavidG

How about trying volcano black? My '99 A4 is volcano black, which seems to show flaws a bit less than brilliant.
Old 05-12-1999, 12:01 PM
Klidge

Default Unless you have a garage, keeping a black car clean is a losing proposition. I have 2 black cars and 1 garage. During the warmer months, the A4 stays outside and filthy. (nt)

<br>
Old 05-12-1999, 12:04 PM
Marianthi

Default Volcano Black...

Just picked up my Volcano/Onyx 1.8T this week. Originally I was all for Brilliant, but Volcano has a deeper and more interesting look to it, and I like the fact that it is sleek but not obnoxiously shiny. As far as maintenance, couldn't tell you yet. When it gets dusty, it loks like it's a part of the paint (but still looks good, imo). Whatever you decide on, you'll be happy, because as soon as you get your car, you'll totally fall in love with it.<p>Marianthi<br>99.5 Volcano/Onyx 1.8TQMS Bose, Trip, All-Weather, Sunroof
Old 05-12-1999, 01:26 PM
Paul Clowser

Default Have Brilliant Black. Would definitely NOT get it again - shows everything.

Old 05-12-1999, 06:17 PM
David Hess

Default Re: Caring 4 my black Audi

I love brillant black. The minor scratches can drive you crazy if you let it though. I can't complain when the car is clean though. The shine is very nice and the car in my opinion looks great in black. By black if you don't mind cleaning it often and if you don't mind the minor scratches. Audi's paint is very soft but from what I have seen it is long lasting. Black with the cloth terra cotta interior looks great IMO on the 2.8. I received tons of compliments about the match. <br>David Hess<br>98.5 2.8QSTip

Quick Reply: Caring 4 my black Audi