A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Carlsen Audi Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-1998, 06:39 PM
D Hsu

Default Carlsen Audi Service

Hi,<br>About three months back, I vented about the poor attention to detail the Audi service department had at Carlsen<br>Audi in Palo Alto, CA. They responded to my email and asked to<br>see the damage. I showed them and THEY offered to replace my whole upholstry door panel. Obviously, I was<br>upset about the knick in my upholstry, but it was small enough for me not to know if I should ask them to repair it. It<br>was basically a close call. Since they offered, I gladly accepted. Twice they told me the part was in, but whenever<br>my brother took the time to call, they told him no. Finally, they told him it arrived (two false calls) and he took it in<br>yesterday. I just found out they ordered the wrong part. I FEEL like they are trying to give me the run around. I<br>never really had that much of a problem with them, but now I am upset. They told me they would fix it. I really feel<br>badly for my brother to take the time and call, drop off my car and have to now bring it back in another three weeks.<br>Should I write to AoA? Again, the issue WAS small, but now has grown. I don't mind when people make mistakes,<br>but when they commit to something and then follow through with such a poor customer service, I get angry. Please<br>let me know if I am being ridiculous.... Thanks for listening though.. I am glad this forum exists.<br>David
Old 11-04-1998, 09:02 PM
Steve S.

Default Re: Carlsen Audi Service - my experience

I take my car to Carlsen and will continue to do so. I ask for Steve Shupe each<br>time I go...they call him "Super Shuper the A4 Club Maniac" or something to<br>that effect. Steve Shupe tells me that Audi frequently sends them the wrong<br>part, when in fact they ordered the correct one. Sometimes the parts dept orders<br>the wrong part. But it most likely is not the auditech. I would give them another<br>chance...I know you don't think its worth it, but I do. I have had my car there for<br>the 7.5K, 22.5K, and four unscheduled trips...one to do an alignment out of<br>warranty (I spin on the track and I wanted to make sure everything was alright),<br>one to fix an oil leak in the valve cover gasket, one to fix an oil leak in the<br>gasket between the engine and transmission, and the last one to fix the <br>mirror heaters. I feel qualified to comment on their service. If you get<br>Steve to work on your car, I think the service is excellent. I too had a problem<br>with parts availability on my car...had to wait 3-4 days after the expected<br>arrival date of the parts. I wouldn't blame the dealer though...it is a<br>parts distribution issue, or so I think.<p>Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM (26K miles, 16 months old)<p>P.S. I took my car to Anderson-Behel in San Jose for the 15K service, <br>and I got poor service there...a whole other story...
Old 11-04-1998, 11:01 PM
Brian

Default Re: Carlsen Audi Service

I've never had a problem with Carlsen, they've been great with me. I've had alternator replaced, minor interior work, and the self-opening sunroof fixed, and just got back from my 37.5k service just last week. And they sound chip friendly to me, at least when I've mentioned it they didn't threaten to cancel warranty.<p>I can understand your frustration, but as a general practice, whenever they "say" that they'll fix something for you, just make sure you get the person's name, watch them enter a note to that effect into their computer, and get the name of the person ordering the part and when they did it. btw I'm not affiliated with Carlsen, and I actually got the car from Zumbach in NY, I just get it serviced here.<p>97 1.8T AT Sport
Old 11-05-1998, 07:48 AM
Keith

Me too. Just had my 22.5K at Carlsen, and I was happy. They do not endorse the<br>brake pads I've seen people in this forum talk about to reduce dust, but they did seem<br>to agree that an ECU would not void the warranty. (But they did feel that if the chip was the cause of a problem, then that problem would not be covered under warranty.)<p>Bottom line is that I thought they were friendly, prompt, they have ordered parts for me and delivered on them, and were generally good to deal with. Sorry you're having problems, but I suspect that they're trying to do right by you.
Old 11-05-1998, 09:24 AM
Sharon Levy

I had problems getting the correct parts ordered from them for service recently, but am otherwise very satisfied with the level of service itself and continue to go back there for maintenance even though it is inconvenient to do so (live in santa cruz, work in cupertino).<p>Always ask for Steve Shupe to work on your car and deal with Peter or Eric as your service advisor, they do a good job documenting what you come in for (avoid the 3rd service advisor - Bill? - like the plague).<p>Sharon
Old 11-05-1998, 11:21 AM
Asim

I just noticed my front passenger side door has a small tear in it right next to the door latch. It is so small that I have not done anything about it yet. I was planning on asking Carlsen to fix it at my next service. The tear does not look like it could have been human error, more like the upholstery has been stretched so far that it is come away from the latch. My fear is that the tear will get bigger over time, right now it probably less than a 1/4 inch. Do you think Carlsen will fix it ? I had my 7500 mile service done about a month ago. I can't tell for sure it was them that caused it, however, I only noticed it after my service.<p>Any suggestion would help
Old 11-05-1998, 04:51 PM
seehack

I agreed with Sharon. My experience with Peter, Eric and Steve have been great. <p>