A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Casablanca paint DIYable with aerosol spray paints? maybe starting... can help me with this.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Casablanca paint DIYable with aerosol spray paints? maybe starting... can help me with this.

My car's rear bumper isnt in its best shape.. cracks, dings, scratches, etc. I did some research on DIY paint jobs - not the near professional level of starting... 's but more the simple jobs done with aerosol spray cans. I was reading into some of the DIY paint jobs that people did to paint their lowers and noticed other readers commenting, "man.. i wish my car was silver too so i can do the same," as if silver was the only color that would look good when DIYed. Is that true? This one particular write-up from AZ did mention something about using a specific kind of silver paint available from autozone, which matches perfectly with the factory silver paint. Any thing like that available for casablanca?

I plan on using aerosol spray cans available from numerous websites out there. I plan to use a filler to fill up the necessary areas.. put a coat of primer.. then paint.. and then finally clear coat it. I would like to do the entire rear bumper -- but the main goal really is to cover up the scars here and there (almost everywhere actually).

Would this work? Any good sites/stores you guys know of that sells good (matching) paint? Any tips or things that I should watch out for when doing it?

Thanks a lot guys. I know I have a lot of questions in this one but I can really use some help. I always appreciate the help from you guys. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I want......

to do the same thing, i contacted starting...he said it was probably a bad idea. I want to fix my bumper, i have some scratch's and 2 screw holes from a car tapping me with there licence plate in a parking lot. I have a brilliant black car, and have a couple of cans of brilliant black and the clear coat from the dealer. If you find any info on this, please let me know, I would really love to use some bondo, fix the 2 holes, and fix my bumper
Old 07-25-2006, 08:21 PM

how much did the paints cost at the dealer?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:19 PM

Default beleive me... you don't want to do a large chunk of your car with spray bombs

you could do small scars but not the whole rear bumper. Bombs don't allow you as much control, and the spray pattern is sporadic to say the least. You're easiest option obviously is to have them professionally done. Your second option would be to buy paint from a reputable company, invest in a compressor and spray gun, and have at er. For under 500$ you could get your rear bumper done by yourself.

The other thing is if you are going to still go spray bomb route... buy them from the dealer. They come in a two pack. One base one clear coat. Spray base.. let sit for long *** time.. another coat.. let dry... apply clear.. voila perfect match. I painted a headlight washer cover with those, turned out excellant. HOWEVER the paint didn't hold up to California sun long and after 2 years looked pretty faded. I'm sure with polishing compound i could have brought it back to shine.

In conclusion I STRONGLY!!! recommened getting them professionally done, or buying proper equipment. Spray bombs work for small fixes. Not whole body parts

silver is one of the hardest colours to match.. as is white.. stick to dealer paint
Old 07-26-2006, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default not bad, it's a kit.......

you get a can of your color and a can of the clear coat and i think it was 20-30 all together? they are aersol can's
Old 07-26-2006, 08:19 AM

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:31 AM

Default i just looked into some spray guns... so many different kinds!!! any suggestion?

high pressure, low pressure, gravity fed... etc... whew

also, what's a reasonable price? the price ranges from $30~$500+
Old 07-26-2006, 01:55 PM

Default no idea.. i got lucky

found one for 200$... not gravity fed. Has adjustment for spray pattern.. focus... thickness... and one more.. i don't know the technical terms.. but i luv it.

I've learned that with most things you get what you pay for. Don't buy the cheapest... but if you are just doing it for a hobby and don't have to much cash.. don't buy the most expensive. Personally I bought the most expensive one i could find in town.. and so far.. no complaints.

I would stick with a reputable brand. Snap on, MAC, Craftsman, mastercraft... over something like... chinoise... zbombs... etc.
Good luck...
starting knows way more about this then i do... so definatley take some advice from him