A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

In case you didn't know, Madico Onyx 35% tint + factory windows = 30%. I know this because, a

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In case you didn't know, Madico Onyx 35% tint + factory windows = 30%. I know this because, a

PA State Trooper pulled me over to measure it for me for $108.00 -- what a nice guy, too.

I was following another car in front of me doing about 72-73 MPH in a 65, and I know I was trying to stay below 75 because I wasn't in any rush, especially since I had my 2-year old daughter in the car. So, I know he couldn't be pulling either of us for speeding, but maybe me for following too closely. I did have the windows open a little all around, so I guess it was the 20% rear that prompted the stop and guessing that there was probably tint on the fronts, which I lowered all of them before even stopping.

Trooper: Good afternoon. Please roll up your window, sir.

me: which one?

Trooper: The front one. (up it goes) That's far enough. You're currently being watched by a camera in the front of my vehicle, blah, blah, blah. These devices are to read the light passing through... blah, blah, which it reads 30, blah, blah and is in violation of blah, blah, blah. Why do you have it?

me: For my daughter. (points to the back seat) She has very light skin and the pediatrician recommended doing it.

Trooper: License and registration, sir. (I get them for him, and he goes back to his car to process my ticket and comes back.)

Trooper: This is a ticket for blah, blah, blah, you have 10 tens, blah, blah, signing this ticket is not an admission of guilt, blah, blah...

me: Are you bored today?

Trooper: What? I didn't hear what you said.

me: I said. Are you bored today, or is it because it's the 29th? ...getting close to the end of the month, ya know.

Trooper: Do you want to see a judge right now?

me: sure!, because I'd love see his face when you disrupt his docket today with a tint violation while the accused is holding his screaming 2-year old who hasn't had lunch yet.

Trooper: Well, it is a violation.

me: whatever, buddy. I'm sure you have better things to do... like pull that guy over for speeding (points to a car who might have been) or a trucker with a loose load which either might actually cause an accident. my tint won't.

Trooper: You have 10 days to appeal it. Have a nice day. (walks off)

----
It's just a fine, no fix-it ticket. so, the tint stays. oh, and in the other section, it reads: "windshield obstructions and wipers" WTF? Because my EZPass is too low. Um, no d!ckhead. It's actually directly behind my rearview mirror, so it's actually better there than any where else. Wipers? that little wind flap apparently doesn't look OEM to him.

Anyone else having a good day too?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. I hope I don't ever get pulled over for it because I am sure mine is way too dark.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Troopers love loudmouth lawyers you know....

=P

But I agree.. Troopers should have better things to do than pull people over for non-moving violations, unless it's to be used as PC for something else..
Old 05-29-2008, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default LOL, nice. As soon as I read "PA State Trooper" I was thinking you should have asked him...

if he had handled any real crimes today. Way to say "fvck you"!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:33 AM

Default Maybe it was the big 321st1 sticker on the side of your car....

or... it was the end of the month and he was bored.

sucks.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm having awesome day too. 46" LCD TV just delivered, its broken, looks like UPS didn't take notice

of the "fragile" stickers all over the box. Or the fact it is a box with a giant picture of an LCD television, (and that it says "Samsung 46" LCD flat panel tv.") So now i get to f*ck around with UPS damaged goods people and hope I can get a new product, or this one fixed.

1,800 bucks, and 175 for shipping you would hope they'd get it right. DAMNIT!

Tint ticket uber ghey though.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bravo though for sticking up for yourself.

There's a reality which some cops don't live in. I can see a citation for that if you were doing something else stupid (or mouthing off) ... but to pull you over for that in the first place... yeah. Slow day for him.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 AM

Default actually, my rear doors still have Induktion and AWE decals on them, but so do

a lot of other trucks, van, cars, etc. with ads for their businesses. It's not illegal.

If you were serious, which I doubt you were, the 321 numbers are made a magnetic material and are only on the car for timed events. ST1 is the class for EMRA, but they moved the classes around so I might be ST2 or 3 for '08.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:42 AM

fragile... it's must be Italian.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Default Nah dude... just jokin'...

I do that from time to time.

Interestingly, my Audi has slightly lighter tint on the fronts vs the rears. The original owner told me the CHP gave him a ticket but it was a fix-it so he had to have them lightened "one-shade" to whatever became legal for the fronts. Surprisingly, you never see the difference unless you stare at it for a while... which I never do.

Quick Reply: In case you didn't know, Madico Onyx 35% tint + factory windows = 30%. I know this because, a