A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

In case you didn't know, Madico Onyx 35% tint + factory windows = 30%. I know this because, a

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yes, it cites a code. I meant the wording of law the doesn't cite an actual % number to define

what tint is not allowed.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:57 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Tough to enforce then, eh? =)

Or easy, if they get to make up the legal limits on the fly.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 AM

Default yeah... the law states: "(4) A sun screening device or other material which does not permit

a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle is prohibited"

Of course, this is off of the internet and not actually pulled from a good source, but I'm sure it probably reads the same.

time to do some research.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, and unless there is a speicfic % of tint that is illegal, you have a good case.. =)
Old 05-30-2008, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No excuse for being a jerk to a cop

You know the rules, you know you're violating them so you are not allowed to complain about it!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:11 AM

Default um, I live in the USA. I have every right to question the laws that govern me, the people who

enforce them, and how they enforce them.

To this day, the US Constitution is questioned, as it should be. If we, as the people of this nation, just sat back and let the enforcement of our laws just take us over, we would have no rights to our freedoms that would slowly be restricted and eventually squashed. You are missing the point that we must always question the line of when the enforcement of the written laws may be or are impeding our given rights.

As far as the stop, if you read my other posts, I was "yes, sir" - "whatever you say, sir" BEFORE he gave me the ticket and while he was explaining the ticket to me. I was completely compliant with him. I didn't post the entire discussion with the officer. You weren't there. You did not hear his tone of voice and his well thought out words that he chose to use with me. I was playing lightly when I asked if he was bored. However, he was a typical state trooper that once that hat is put on his head when getting out of the patrol car, he feels he is better than the person(s) who he is about to approach. And, to top it if, which is really what bothered me, he had no regard for my daughter. That's when the line in the sand was drawn, which he crossed. Trust me, I've sat in post-undergrad classes with police officers. I can profile them as much as they think they can profile me, you, and every other person with whom the meet. And, I've been on the other side of the fence while working for the Pittsburgh's DA Office and you will see the differences of a local and state cop as well as the Feds -- which I've had an interview recently with the FBI. I know the criminal justice field well.

Bottom line: if you're rude to me, if take a tone of voice with me, if push me, if you try to pull **** with me that isn't right or doesn't feel right to me (even if I'm wrong in the end), then expect me to be rude to you, take the same tone of voice as your voice, push back (just as hard and probably harder) and show you when you might be wrong, or at least give you my perspective that I feel you deservse to see.

And, now that I've read the laws re: tint in PA, you can clearly see that he was just using it as a way to create a good stop, profiling my car and hoping to find something else. He was probably surprised to see someone in his 30s with a 2-year old in the car.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Have fun with that - let us know how it turns out
Old 05-30-2008, 10:04 AM

will do. thanks for the link, as I was probably just going to mail the fine in.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Right to ask yes, right to be a jerk... well that just makes you a jerk.

You didn't question the law, you tried to find fault with the officer's actions and in fact you tried to make it personal. There was no reason for you to take this tact as this has no impact on the law, your actions were immature and are not fit treatment of an officer who was simply doing his job.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Default eye for eye, imo. He could've had a smile on his face. He chose to be a d!ck about it and make it

personal when he couldn't take a joke and crossed my line of no regard for my daughter. His job description doesn't include an inferior attitude, but it's apparently a magical hat that some (most?) state troopers wear. I, as a citizen, am not of lower rank that he.

I see your point and what you're saying, but I'm not going to side with you on this because he too crossed a line. And, imo, he crossed first and validates my right to cross back. Was that immature? probably. But, why should I sit idle and take it? I won't say that I'm sorry for standing up for myself, even if it was immature in nature. And, what I said, didn't stop him from doing his job, I didn't break any laws, and I feel that I stood up to someone else in public where I have that right to do so. His title, badge, gun, etc. are tools to do his job, a p!ss poor attitude taken with me should not be part of this tool's tools.

Quick Reply: In case you didn't know, Madico Onyx 35% tint + factory windows = 30%. I know this because, a