A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

CD changer for 99.5 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2000, 10:52 AM
KPP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD changer for 99.5 sedan

I'm in the market for a cd changer on my 99.5. I've found the Panasonic 801 (8 disks) at the Wiz for $200 and $100 for the adapter. Through Clair, I can have the Panasonic (6 disks) for $270 (no adapter required). I understand that installation for the Clair changer is easy. What is the installation like for the 8 CD changer? Where does the adpater go? Thanks.
Old 03-22-2000, 11:03 AM
NP

Default the clair one isnt that easy, I could only get in 1 screw of the four>>

and i stuffed foam strips to keep it in place, it has never skipped though. The adapter u can get from crutchfield.com form 20-40 I think. The clair one is covered by audi warranty though.
Old 03-22-2000, 11:29 AM
KPP

Default Re: the clair one isnt that easy, I could only get in 1 screw of the four>>

Just making sure but you didn't need an adapter with the Panasonic changer from Clair right?
Old 03-22-2000, 11:40 AM

Default Does anyone have a FAQ on the '99.5-'00 Panasonic cd changer from Clair?

I searched the archives but could not find one. I am picking up the 1.8T in about 2 hours. I am stoked.
Old 03-22-2000, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

About the screws...I took out the whole rack and put all of the screws in, simple e-mail me if u nee
Old 03-22-2000, 12:17 PM
jms

Default Mounting the 801 is a pain in the tail, but it's worth the price....

I installed the 8-disc Panasonic changer in my wife's '99.5, and it was kind of a pain. I ended up removing the metal bracket that holds the tool kit and CD changer, and that made it a heck of a lot easier to get the screws threaded. Even so, I could only fit two screws, and the installation was complicated further by the fact that the changer is shorter than the space in the bracket. So I had to buy a long screw (be sure you get the right diameter and pitch!) and used a stack of washers to provide rigidity. Finally, I used wooden shims underneath to stabilize the changer in the bracket, since it can pivot when there's only one screw holding it in on each side.

I bought my adapter cable from Blitzsafe. I think it cost me less than $40, but I think that's only because Lincoln (a great guy who works for Blitzsafe) took pity on me. Ordinarily I think it costs about $60.

Finally, I got my changer from SoundHabit (www.soundhabit.com), and I think it cost me something like $180.
Old 03-22-2000, 12:32 PM
NP

no adapter needed
Old 03-22-2000, 01:03 PM

Default jms, mind to email me more info on your setup??

I have the Panasonic DP801 mounted on the bottom of the center brake light and I really really want to mount on the side. DO you have digital camera and able to take some photos for your side wide setup? I really want to mount to the side, but you just move out the bracket, install the changer and put the bracket back? I don't think the screw position are corrected, did you drill some new holes on the bracket to screw it on?

I want more info please.

Odie
99.5 1.8TQTipS APR/Remus/K&N/Panasonic DP801/Eurolite/Jahn/LLtek M&S Mats.
Old 03-22-2000, 01:13 PM
jms

Default Probably don't need to send pix....

...since you're right--I removed the bracket, mounted the changer in it, and then put it back in. You will find that two screw holes in the bracket actually are in the right positions, except that when the changer is mounted tightly on one side, there's a big gap (maybe half an inch?) between the bracket and the other side of the changer. What I did was to use a longer screw (which I got at a good hardware store), and I used a small stack of washers (which I taped together for convenience) to make for a snug fit of the changer against the side of the bracket. Finally, as I mentioned, I made a couple of wood shims that I wedged between the bottom of changer and the bracket.

Let me know if this isn't clear.

--John
Old 03-22-2000, 01:15 PM
jms

Default I almost forgot!

Odie--

I almost forgot--there's a tab on the right rear part of the bracket that's in the way of the place where the adapter cable needs to be plugged in. I used vicegrips to bend it out of the way.

--John

Quick Reply: CD changer for 99.5 sedan