A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

CD changer blues (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD changer blues (longish)

Hello everyone,

I tried posting this in the audio forum but didn't get any replies, thought I'd try my luck here.

I have a 98.5 A4 with the "factory" (ie. dealer-installed) CD changer and the Bose head unit. A few days ago, in the middle of playing a CD, I started getting CD ERR 1 errors on the head unit display. I tried running a "cleaner" CD but had no luck.

Anyway it seems that the problem is that the lens assebmly can't move enough to "track" the CD. I can hear the CD being loaded, and then a few short "bursts" from the servo that moves the lens, but it can't even read the directory because the head unit doesn't even "know" how many tracks each CD has and allows me to (try to) play tracks 1-99.

I also tried to power-cycle the changer by removing the radio fuse. It does seem to power down (put in the magazine, didn't load CDs or do anything at all) but that didn't help. Anyway that seems (from past threads) to be a fix for the ERR 3 problem, ie. the head unit "forgetting" there's a CD changer installed, and not for ERR 1.

I did searches here and elsewhere and there doesn't seem to be any conclusive solution to ERR 1.

Another question: To remove the CD changer, which set of screws have to go? This is the changer that's mounted vertically next to the toolbox area on the left hand side of the trunk. There are four screws on the front and back of the enclosure, and there are also two screws that seem to bolt the whole toolbox/CD changer assembly down to the trunk floor. The first set is a little tough to get to ( I'd need a very short screwdriver that can fit between the trunk lid and the screws in the rear side of the box).

I'd really appreciate any help anyone offers. (I'd also appreciate a limited edition PhatBox offer :-)))

Thanks in advance

D.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:08 PM

Default Re: CD changer blues (longish)

Err 1's are generated when the error rate is too high - Either the CD is scratched, or the laser Pickup is not in alignment with the track.

To remove the CD unit, you need to remove the whole toolbox and CD unit. There is 1 horizontal screw into the LHS wheel arch, as well as one at the trunk side and one into the trunk floor if I remember correctly. once the whole toolkit/cd unit is out, you can remove the CD changer completely. (Several screws accessible through the material on the box).
Old 03-03-2002, 08:33 PM

Default thanks - probably alignment problem (see inside)

Thanks for the info. I think I've found two screws for the toolbox/CD unit so far.

The CDs are fine, in fact the one that was playing when ERR 1s started was virtually new. They play OK on my home stereo and computer CD-ROM.

The out-of-alignment theory sounds much more plausible. I started getting solid ERR 1s right after going over some Muni tracks (cable cars in San Francisco for the non-bay area people) that rocked the car particularly hard. Judah/Sunset intersection, for all you SF people out there, beware...

Assuming it's the laser alignment, does anyone know what the chances are that it's fixable? Also, is that something I can/should attempt to fix myself (probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask)?

Another thought (slightly going on a tangent): It probably makes it easier to get the alignment screwed up when the changer is mounted vertically like it is in 98.5s. Oh well...

Once again thanks for the info. I really miss my tunes when I'm driving

D.