A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

CD Changer installation in 00 1.8TQM man is it hard - help!>>>

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2000, 05:55 AM
NP

Default CD Changer installation in 00 1.8TQM man is it hard - help!>>>

Hi guys got my changer from Clair parts for 262.50 w/tax and 4 screws. Was told it was an easy instal. Hooked up the plug (easy) and then put one screw in. Thats the only screw I could reach. I could not reach the other 3 screws. I need to know how I can remove hte side panel so I can reach the screws. For the meantime I stuffed napkins in the slot space so the Changer wouldnt bounce on the brackket and it seems to work fine (no skipping, etc) but I would like to put the 3 other screws eventually, maybe after the temp goes warmer (am in Boston and its freezing). Please help w/pics would be very helpful. Thanks
NP
Old 01-17-2000, 08:13 AM
Wildo

Default CD Changer install in 00 1.8TQM - Did it, here is how...

Hello,
Like you, I found the install to be more difficult that most. However, armed with patience and persistance (and no skill/experience in pulling the trunk apart), I did just fine.

I removed the ribbed plastic piece that runs across the back lip of the trunk, I believe there are ~7-8 screws. Next, I removed the bottom trunk liner. Upon removing the liner, I found that the left forward bolt that holds in the tie-down for the cargo net is also securing a clip that secures a piece of the panel. I removed the bolt so the panel could be moved around a bit. Next, I removed the flat black disk that looks like it was just pushed in to secure the paneling. The disk is located just inside the trunk on the right hand side. It is just to the left of the tail light and can't really be seen unless you lean into the trunk and look back a bit. Now, here is the important part: The disk is actually a nut, and is screwed into a bolt, so it must be UNSCREWED, not pried off. (Thank God I asked my local body shop guru/friend!) Anyway, with those pieces removed, I found it much easier to reach in and move the panel a bit to access the screws inside. FWIW, I removed the metal casing, installed the CD Changer into it, then re-installed the casing. Obviously, the most difficult parts were removing/re-installing the casing. Also, I could have never done the job with just a regular screwdriver or wrench. I used a 1/4" driver with an 8mm (I think) socket, and sometimes just held the socket (without the driver) in my hand and unscrewed/screwed the bolts manually. The space in there is really tight, so you have to take your time! I live in Boston too, and did the install on a damn cold day myself. The whole thing took me about 30 minutes. It may have been faster if I removed the whole panel, but that looked like too much of a complicated affair for me, as the panel extends into a portion of the cabin behind the back seat (you can see what I'm talking about if you lay down the seat).

Patience is everything for this task.

Good luck and keep warm!

- Wildo 2000 A4 1.8TQMSS
Old 01-17-2000, 08:18 AM
tom

Default Re: CD Changer installation in 00 1.8TQM man is it hard - help!>>>

I just did the same thing. I was able to get the screw on the front right hand side(front of car, towards the trunk) in. Then i had to get a magnetized screwdriver, a small one to get the other two (left hand side) in. Be careful though as I dropped the screwdriver down inside the trunk well after the third screw. I'll have to fish that out later. The fourth screw is pretty much unaccessable unless you remove the bracket (unbolt it from the frame). I was afraid to do that much deconstruction, but it may have been the best way afterall. I did have one possible solution for the fourth screw (right, towards rear fender). Home depot sells a small rachet with a screw head on it for $6 that might just fit in there.

My thoughts.
Old 01-17-2000, 07:24 PM
Richard Hunter

Default Dude... come on over, I'll help...

I just did mine 3 days ago... takes about 10 minutes and a few plastic pieces... you don't need to put all 4 screws in, just the front two.

Anyway, I'd be happy to help...

Am in Walpole...

Richard

'00TQM